Looking to stop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to stop

I'm looking for an upgrade to my stock brake system on my '87 325is. I've looked at Brembo, and they have a full kit, but for a mighty proud $1800. As much as I'd love some Brembos, I was wondering what other options may exist? What are you guys running, and do you know of any kits (calipers, slotted and drilled rotors, pads) that are comparable to the Brembo Kit but maybe wont break the bank so much? Thanks!

What is the car used for and what engine? If only driven on the street there is no reason for a brake upgrade as there is no legal way of getting the speed on the car, regardless of what engine you have. If on the track with the stock engine or an M50/52, the stock brakes, front cooling ducts, and race pads are all that is needed. If the engine is more powerful, a BBK is a good idea and the expense is justified.

Regardless of whether the brakes are stock or a BBK, the best performance will come from plain rotors. They have greater thermal mass, greater swept area, and are less prone to cracking or total failure. Think of the holes as initial cracks of large radius.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Link to this "Brembo Kit" for comparison?
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
        Link to this "Brembo Kit" for comparison?

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-...rake-kits.aspx

Says its for an E30 M3, but if will fit in the M3 wheel without issue, don't see why it couldn't be adapted to an IS. Plus, really, I'm sure you could compose a brake kit from Brembo using parts that fit other 4x100 hubs as long as you can fit it inside your wheel dimensions...

And I'll keep that in mind. Plans are down the road to turbo the mess out of the M20 with one of Kam's kits if he's still gonna do them, or supercharge it with te kit that I believe its Synchro325is? is working on with an M62. Before that a 5spd has to go in it, and tbh with you, my old man won't have any of it (not even the 5spd) as long as the title is in his hand unless I reinforce the braking system and suspension to handle it all. So I had to start somewhere lol as it is I think there may be a little air in the brake lines, because i have to push the pedal down like halfway to get solid braking force, unless i give them a preliminary pump. You could call my car's target a "extreme daily driver" I suppose. And honestly I plan to have it spend time on the track when its up to it.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
            Thanks. I'll do some research on the kit and keep it in mind. That's A LOT cheaper.

Comment

UUC also has a good BBK, I've been running it for a couple years for street/autox/track with great results.
              88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
              We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

Just like Jim said.

If your gonna track it buy cheap blanks (I spend 15$ on cheap rotors and they last just fine, don't warp either) and I run pfc 08s though I don't throw nearly as much heat into my brakes as track driving with drifting. But when I need brakes the 08s work great and lock up the rear with my hydro on a dime. They make tons of noise and lots of dust, don't think you'll find an in between. You generally need to sacrifice noise and dust for good brake performance.

If you don't plan on tracking or plan on tracking stock or stock ish then stick with blanks and race pads, being new to the track your likely not to overheat stock stuff even with more power because your not going to be pushing the car to its limit until you know what your doing.

I'd do a full overhaul of the stock system and when the time comes add in some track pads.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
                -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Originally posted by Sykohtic View Post
                  http://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-...rake-kits.aspx

Says its for an E30 M3, but if will fit in the M3 wheel without issue, don't see why it couldn't be adapted to an IS. Plus, really, I'm sure you could compose a brake kit from Brembo using parts that fit other 4x100 hubs as long as you can fit it inside your wheel dimensions...
                  Yeah, just trust me, you can't do that. You may be able to use the calipers but the brackets and rotor hats would need to be different, which is mostly what you get from buying a big brake kit. Everything else is easily purchased seperately.
                  For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
                  Originally posted by mbonanni
                  I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the info!!

Comment

Working...
                    X