Upsize calipers but not rotors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upsize calipers but not rotors?

So on my 318is I noticed that while the discs themselves are decently sized, the calipers are really tiny. So I thought to myself, why not fit a twin piston caliper on the original rotor?
    Searched around, couldn't find anything.
    So if anyone has done this and can tell me about it, or can direct me to someone that has, that would be wonderful.
    sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Originally posted by econti View Post
    why not fit a twin piston caliper on the original rotor?
    My question is why would you? Are you overheating the brakes and experiencing fade on track? Can you jump on the brakes and make the ABS come on or the tires lock up?
    For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
    Originally posted by mbonanni
    I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

For incredible brake feel, I guess. But yeah, no sense in only upgrading the calipers, e30 rotors have a tendency of cracking with heavy track use.

Comment

Originally posted by Roysneon View Post
        My question is why would you? Are you overheating the brakes and experiencing fade on track? Can you jump on the brakes and make the ABS come on or the tires lock up?
        The feel isn't great, and based on that the pad area is quite small (not being able to test because my tyres are shit) I reckon that they wouldn't be able to lock up with some decent rubber under there, as I'm going to 225s or 235s very soon.

Originally posted by jalopi View Post
        For incredible brake feel, I guess. But yeah, no sense in only upgrading the calipers, e30 rotors have a tendency of cracking with heavy track use.
        Do they? Oh. I'll save up for 5 stud and bigger everything then.
        sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

It's just hearsay. A friend told me his rotors kept cracking, no idea if it's common with other people or not.

But yeah, I bought those Lithuanian hub adapters and e46 brakes. The difference is unbelievable and that's with no brake booster... no idea how amazing they'd be with assistance.

Comment

Working...
          X