Cursed brake squeal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cursed brake squeal

So, every so often after driving for a bit, when I'm going at speeds near a crawl (like in traffic) whilst lightly holding the brakes, I get this irritating squealing from my front right brake. My rotors aren't warped in the slightest.

My wear is even, my pads still have life left in them, and my fluid is still good. Master cylinder is fine since it was replaced recently. I'm thinking the culprit is the brake dust shield, as it's uncomfortably close to my rotor, and assuming that when the brakes get heated up, the shield bends and grazes the rotor to produce that squealing sound.

I'm tempted to just take my wheel off and figure out what's wrong with the power of beer and time, but I'm looking for some guidance. Any ideas what might be going on?
    "Leafeon" '92 Lagunengrun 325i Vert (Daily Driver/Project)
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=366044
    The stickers make it go faster. :nice:

Grease the back side of your pads. Most brake squeal is actually the pad vibrating at high frequency and rattling against the caliper. Dirt/grime on the rotors/pads can cause noise as well. Wipe them down with brake clean or acetone after you are done.

Comment

My guess is in your choice of pads. What are you using?
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I use the stock replacement pads from Turner Motorsport. I like to keep things mostly stock.

Another bit of information is that when I brake, it won't squeak for a long period of time. It'll squeak, be silent for a sec, squeak, silent, squeak, etc. Intermittent pauses.

This is only in traffic. Any other speed that I brake, it's not squeaking. I know it's not my wheel bearing either.
        "Leafeon" '92 Lagunengrun 325i Vert (Daily Driver/Project)
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=366044
        The stickers make it go faster. :nice:

Comment

Working...
        X