Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RX7 Brake Upgrade: Master Cylinder Question

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    RX7 Brake Upgrade: Master Cylinder Question

    I have a RX7 brake kit for the swap car. I've read about sketchy peddle feel when upgrading to the e36 ///M3 brakes or the RX7 brakes. Is the best solution upgrading to 750il MC? Any other options?

    I'm looking to clarify before I go ahead and order. After a little research, I found that both ECS and Turner sell E30 MC upgrades that are in essence, the 750il MC

    Any feedback would be appreciated.

    Here is what I found for sale.





    Here are the brakes in question. I purchased them from another member a few months ago here on the forums. Finally getting around to installing them.







    This is how they look installed..





    My current MC is a stock 88 325es unit.



    Thanks for the help!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Garage
    09 Mini Cooper S (Daily)
    09 E92 335i Msport
    09 E70 X5 4.8
    88 325es - Build Thread - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=383423
    87 325i m50 swap
    87 325es

    #2
    I can't speak for the rx7 brakes, but I did the 25mm master cylinder on my stock brakes and it gave me a lot of confidence in them. It gives it a much firmer pedal feel, and you do need to apply more pressure to the pedal, but I think its a much better than the stock MC.
    My Garage
    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
    Feedback

    Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by stonea View Post
      I can't speak for the rx7 brakes, but I did the 25mm master cylinder on my stock brakes and it gave me a lot of confidence in them. It gives it a much firmer pedal feel, and you do need to apply more pressure to the pedal, but I think its a much better than the stock MC.


      Is the 25mm MC also known as the 750il one? Is that what your referring to?

      Also, is the MC the only thing you changed or were there any other items you had to swap out?

      Thanks
      My Garage
      09 Mini Cooper S (Daily)
      09 E92 335i Msport
      09 E70 X5 4.8
      88 325es - Build Thread - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=383423
      87 325i m50 swap
      87 325es

      Comment


        #4
        I just did the swap last night, so far it feels fantastic. I still have to bed the system. I'll let you know after that. I'm running an IX booster though.
        F80 M3 Alpine
        E10 Fjord Blue 2002
        E28 Blackish 535i
        E21 Silver 320i
        Disco1 98 4.6
        ~~~~~~
        E30 Cirrus coupe S50 SOLD
        E30 325i SOLD
        E30 Alpine 325i vert Euro spec SOLD
        E30 Alpine coupe 325is SOLD
        sigpic

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by e30_world View Post
          I just did the swap last night, so far it feels fantastic. I still have to bed the system. I'll let you know after that. I'm running an IX booster though.
          Please share pictures? Thanks for the feedback and keep me posted on results.
          My Garage
          09 Mini Cooper S (Daily)
          09 E92 335i Msport
          09 E70 X5 4.8
          88 325es - Build Thread - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=383423
          87 325i m50 swap
          87 325es

          Comment


            #6

            Had to cut the dust shield and one side I had to do minor shaving down on the knuckle.



            All finished. I'll shoot some more picks when I get home. I'm also running 17" wheels and 5mm spacers up front. What size wheel are you going to run? What booster are you using?
            Last edited by e30_world; 04-22-2016, 10:51 AM.
            F80 M3 Alpine
            E10 Fjord Blue 2002
            E28 Blackish 535i
            E21 Silver 320i
            Disco1 98 4.6
            ~~~~~~
            E30 Cirrus coupe S50 SOLD
            E30 325i SOLD
            E30 Alpine 325i vert Euro spec SOLD
            E30 Alpine coupe 325is SOLD
            sigpic

            Comment


              #7
              What kind of rear calipers are you running?

              I had the 750 master and it moves ALL of the bias towards the front calipers. I wouldn't recommend it...

              Ask me how I know :p





              Need OE BMW or Aftermarket Parts? Shoot me a PM! | Leave me feedback here
              info@omgmotorworks.com

              Comment


                #8
                Holy crap! I am just using the stock Girling for the rears with new blanks and stainless lines. I'm not sure what master I'm using as the car is swapped. It's most likely stock. Where you tracking that day?? Still using the brake setup
                F80 M3 Alpine
                E10 Fjord Blue 2002
                E28 Blackish 535i
                E21 Silver 320i
                Disco1 98 4.6
                ~~~~~~
                E30 Cirrus coupe S50 SOLD
                E30 325i SOLD
                E30 Alpine 325i vert Euro spec SOLD
                E30 Alpine coupe 325is SOLD
                sigpic

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by E30Whore View Post
                  Is the 25mm MC also known as the 750il one? Is that what your referring to?

                  Also, is the MC the only thing you changed or were there any other items you had to swap out?

                  Thanks
                  Yep 25mm is the 750i. It was 100% bolt on and the only other upgrades I did were hawk pads and SS brake lines. I have the same pads on the ix and I doubt the SS make such a vast improvement so I credit it all to the MC.
                  My Garage
                  2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                  1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                  1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                  Feedback

                  Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by e30_world View Post

                    Had to cut the dust shield and one side I had to do minor shaving down on the knuckle.



                    All finished. I'll shoot some more picks when I get home. I'm also running 17" wheels and 5mm spacers up front. What size wheel are you going to run? What booster are you using?

                    Currently I'm running the Sikky booster delete with 325i MC, paired with the rx7 brake kit. Rear has upgraded rotors/lines/pads and it's all tucked under 16x9 wheels with 245/45's

                    I'm just looking for the best MC option...



                    My Garage
                    09 Mini Cooper S (Daily)
                    09 E92 335i Msport
                    09 E70 X5 4.8
                    88 325es - Build Thread - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=383423
                    87 325i m50 swap
                    87 325es

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by e30_world View Post
                      Holy crap! I am just using the stock Girling for the rears with new blanks and stainless lines. I'm not sure what master I'm using as the car is swapped. It's most likely stock. Where you tracking that day?? Still using the brake setup
                      Yeh, I was at Watkins. Destroyed a set of PFC 01's that day... 4 sessions. ONE DAY on those pads.

                      I switched back to the stock MC and have had NO problems. I'm running massive's street kit. I wouldn't recommend that MC unless you are also upgrading the rear calipers.


                      Need OE BMW or Aftermarket Parts? Shoot me a PM! | Leave me feedback here
                      info@omgmotorworks.com

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by dude8383 View Post
                        Yeh, I was at Watkins. Destroyed a set of PFC 01's that day... 4 sessions. ONE DAY on those pads.

                        I switched back to the stock MC and have had NO problems. I'm running massive's street kit. I wouldn't recommend that MC unless you are also upgrading the rear calipers.
                        I wasn't planning on upgraded the MC on my build. That is good to know though. Crazy. I would have been pissed! Those pads are Pricey. Are you still rocking stock rears?
                        F80 M3 Alpine
                        E10 Fjord Blue 2002
                        E28 Blackish 535i
                        E21 Silver 320i
                        Disco1 98 4.6
                        ~~~~~~
                        E30 Cirrus coupe S50 SOLD
                        E30 325i SOLD
                        E30 Alpine 325i vert Euro spec SOLD
                        E30 Alpine coupe 325is SOLD
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Yeh, I dealt with it for several track events too by trying different compounds. Spent a lot of money figuring that out lol.

                          I still have stock rears. I have a more aggressive pad in the back now so that the car feels even more balanced under braking. I think dtc 60's in front and dtc 70's in the back.


                          Need OE BMW or Aftermarket Parts? Shoot me a PM! | Leave me feedback here
                          info@omgmotorworks.com

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I though the rear biasing happened after the BMC, also Watkins is REALLY hard on brakes. I've had pads that looked like that after several AutoX days and an HPDE on an airstrip. For me though that was in my 92 Integra GS-R with cobalt friction full metallic pads, and everyone just runs autozone rotor's, they last a couple days, you can take them back if your an asshole. I never did, but the rotors are what wore and gave such great stopping with that quintessential race car squeak. Cheap rotors expensive pads, but you can actually have the same stopping power session after session once the pads are warm.

                            I have the E32 750iL BMC on my e30 sedan and it works fantastic.
                            1988SuperETA|Full I component swap|19lb injectors|Schrick 272|MSIIExtraBeta20071020|GM DIS Wasted Spark|LC-1

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X