Diagnosing a possible ABS problem, please advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diagnosing a possible ABS problem, please advise

I was driving my 91 318is. When my tie rod linkage came free, from the control arm side. It swung up and lodged itself on my tiered, causing gloss of steering. Scary stuff. but it wasn't just the loss of steering that was frighting right as i lost steering my front right wheel locked (same side as the locked tierod) I stopped and quickly removed the stuck linkage from my tierod and regained control, I noticed then that my abs sensor cable had been caught by the linkage when it spun off the control arm . However when I re started the car and started to drive to pull over the front wheel was still locked. So i did a little roadside Diagnostics and discovered, that it could be pushed in nuetrel when the car was off, or power was being sent to the brakes and steering (engine not running). I tried to drive it again but a block down the road the wheel locked up again.

I towed the car home and fixed the linkage. discovered the ABS sensor cable had slight damage but didn't appear severed. Testing the car discovered that in reverse the wheel didn't lock up, but in forward movement it would lock. Power cycling the car turned off the brake but didn't fix the problem. I pulled the silver relay in the ABS pump in the engine bay, didn't change anything.

Is this a bad ABS wheel sensor? or did the Linkage impacting my tierod mess up my power steering system?
    91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
    Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
    E30 can make you, E30 can break you
    "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

what?
    m106 1990 e30
    e36 daily
    e32 cruiser

Comment

basically does anyone know what could cause my front right brake to lock up when driving forward, but not when moving in reverse.
      91' 318is 90' 325is

Comment

you bent something in the strut/brake bracket/pins/caliper assembly.
        Or sheared one of the bolts that hold the pins to the caliper.

It's relatively unlikely that it's steering or ABS related.

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Ok so i'll disassemble my caliper and check for broken bits, a rebuilt brake caliper would be the way to go?
          91' 318is 90' 325is

Comment

Rebuilt calipers can be fine, but if you have known good pistons a DIY rebuild isn't too challenging.

Comment

Working...
            X