bad wheel bearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bad wheel bearing?

what does a bad rear wheel bearing sound/feel/act like?

i think mine might be bad..

and how hard are they to replace (worth taking to a shop?)

whining OR vibration OR Both. when the car leans to one side the sound will get louder, and when the car leans the other way the sound should disappear.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
    PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

Mine sounded like "whomp, whomp, whomp".
      Joking aside. Jack up the car (front or back put it in neutral but be sure to scotch the wheels)and spin the wheel you think is bad. If you get a ticking sound it's the bearing. I didn't think it was too hard, but you'll need some specific tools to do it. Like a hub puller or T bar, and bearing/bushing drivers, or the special bearing tool that costs way too much. I read somewhere about a homemade bearing tool too, but I can't find a link right now.

Where in NC are you?

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
      When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's £3.95 per minute.
      "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." Jack Nicholson"
      Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

Comment

east on 40 about 4-5 hours.

school in wilmington home in fayetteville.

whining OR vibration OR Both. when the car leans to one side the sound will get louder, and when the car leans the other way the sound should disappear.
        thats it.

the whining came first. almost sounded like a bad brake pad, constant squeel whine, and only like above 5-10 mph

Comment

Hmmm..... thought if you were closer we'd jerk that puppy out. I've got an oem wb in my trunk right now.

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's £3.95 per minute.

Comment

oh you know you want to make the trip to wilmington, we have a beaaacchh...

haha. do you have all the tools necessary for it?

i drive past hickory all the time going to linville gorge (tell me youve heard of it)

Comment

Did mine with a set of bearing drivers, a T bar, a 30mm socket and a bfh.

Yup I know it.
              Last edited by lordofthewaters; 03-05-2007, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blueapplesoda View Post

That's exactly what my DD sounds like. I need a new bearing too.
                Recent Rebranding!!
                Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
                E30 SM62/S62
                E30 M60 V8
                E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
                Instagram.com/garageaholic
                Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

alright guys,
                  ive looked into it more, but I have no clue.

Its gotta either be the wheel bearing or the cv axle.

its to the point whereit has goten worse, and im about to take it and pay a shop to tell me what it is.

I KNOW the smart people on this board would be able to tell me though, and save me 80 dollars.

I can try my best to get a vid of the sound if needed..

Can anyone else offer any more ideas?

with e30s as old as they are now, i know im not the only one have a wheel bearing or something go bad?

please help.

thank you.

Comment

I can almost guarantee it's the wheel bearing, especially if it's on one side. It's only a $40 part, but you need a wheel bearing puller to remove/install it.
                    Recent Rebranding!!
                    Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
                    E30 SM62/S62
                    E30 M60 V8
                    E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
                    Instagram.com/garageaholic
                    Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

im hoping it is. since that is the cheaper part too.
                      i believe i could just about do it myself, plus could a bearing puller be rented?

what i may do is.. have the shop look at it and determine if it is in fact the wheel bearing, i will then take the car home and pull it all apart..

and hopefully be able to take them the drive flange and have them swap the bearings for me.
                      (is this possible? is the bearing pressed intothe drive flange , or do i have to take them the entire trailing arm?)

i guess i will also do the trailing arm/subframe bushings at this time. (along with replacing all the shocks/springs and mounts)

Since i cannot afford a new cv axle too, can i just get some replacement boots for them since they are disconnected?

thanks for the help

Comment

If it sounds like a metallic squeel or like a small gear thats going way too fast it has to be the wheel bearing. Let us know if you did it yourself. Mine needs one but Ive been putting it back.
                        sigpic

Comment

plus one.
                          Slicktop City!

Comment

Wheel Bearing issue

I've got somewhat the same issue. No real noise other then the "whomp, whomp, whomp" sound. When I turn to the left..no noise or vibration. But when I turn to the right, all hell brakes loose!

Took it to my mechanic, he scoped it on the rack with the stethescope but could not pinpoint it. He checked the rear end, both inner brake hubs, tranny and nothing. Seems like there has to be a load on it before it vibrates and hums. Highway driving.. as I increase rpms the vibration increases.

Has anyone got an idea as to which bearing it would be if it whoomps as I turn right? Whoomp, whoomp, frickin whoomp. :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by rlabair View Post
                              I've got somewhat the same issue. No real noise other then the "whomp, whomp, whomp" sound. When I turn to the left..no noise or vibration. But when I turn to the right, all hell brakes loose!

Took it to my mechanic, he scoped it on the rack with the stethescope but could not pinpoint it. He checked the rear end, both inner brake hubs, tranny and nothing. Seems like there has to be a load on it before it vibrates and hums. Highway driving.. as I increase rpms the vibration increases.

Has anyone got an idea as to which bearing it would be if it whoomps as I turn right? Whoomp, whoomp, frickin whoomp. :twisted:
                              left
                              Current Cars
                              2014 M235i
                              2009 R56 Cooper S
                              1998 M3
                              1997 M3

Comment

Working...
                              X