brake bleeding newbie......advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake bleeding newbie......advice needed

..Ive searched but was wondering where can I find a simple, correct diy step by step procedure for bleeding the brakes...its about time I stopped paying 60 bucks everytime I get it done, and thats like 2-3x per yr.....( car is tracked only and sits at times x months)..thanks!!!!
    I love sitting down and just driving!

buy a pressure bleeder. they are about $50.. I got mine at bavauto. makes bleeding brakes very easy, no more pumping or messing around. since you bleed your brakes all the time it would definitely be worth it.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

You can buy one (http://www.trackhaus.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=267 ) or you can make one yourself for 1/2 the cost:
      Back in early 1999 I mentioned on the Digest(s) that my own personal brake pressure bleeder was made from a pump-up garden sprayer and some hose, a few
      sigpic
      The Keystone Killers: for the Commonwealth!
      Member #18 of M42Club.com
      1991 318is Diamantschwarz Black
      1992 850i Calypso Red

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        buy a pressure bleeder. they are about $50.. I got mine at bavauto. makes bleeding brakes very easy, no more pumping or messing around. since you bleed your brakes all the time it would definitely be worth it.
        hey nando.....nice to see a response from a regular that I know and respect. Are the instructions included.......I know it cant be hard but I want to have confidence I can bring the car down from track speeds safely and consistently........once I did my brakes pads I realized how ez it was.......Im sure this will turn out the same.

...wizarD...thanks for that site.....
        Last edited by JRKOUPE; 03-13-2007, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Doc, if you are cheap like me, look on eBay for a Motive Products Power bleeder - they make the ones for BavAuto and BMP. Be sure you get the one with the EUro/BMW cap on it.

Its easy - fill it with fluid, attach to the brake reservoir, pump it up, then bleed.

Start with the pass. rear, then driver rear, then pass front then driver front.
          Current Cars
          2014 M235i
          2009 R56 Cooper S
          1998 M3
          1997 M3

Comment

it's pretty much self explanitory.

you fill the bleeder with fluid, and connect it to your resivior. You will need more than 1 liter because when it gets to the bottom it will depressurize. the rubber "gasket" that came with my bleeder was junk and leaked pressure, so I threw it out; instead I borrow the grommet from the resivior cap and put it on the bleeder. this seals it pretty well, and I put it back on the cap when I'm done.

then you pump up the bleeder to pressurize the system. 15-20psi is good, don't go much over 20 though - you'll pop the seals under the resivior and make a big mess on your garage floor.

then it's just a matter of opening up each line and letting the pressure do all the work. I'm sure you know to start with the line furthest from the resivior and working your way to the closest. you might have to pump up the bleeder a couple more times, but that's about it. you should be able to do the whole car in an hour - and you can use it to bleed your clutch too.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

+1 on the BavAuto bleeder only pump it up to a good 15 - 18 rather than the DO NOT EXCEED 10PSI per the instructions.

start farthest away and move closer to the MC and dont forget the clutch. This is a perfect time to use the super gold/blue fluid so you know when the lines are fully flushed.

Comment

......thanks fella's............

it will be a joy saving some cash.....gatorade on me at Lime Rock.......

Comment

.......how often would u bleed clutch?....
                  Last edited by JRKOUPE; 03-13-2007, 03:24 PM.

Comment

One liter is more than enough for a full flush/bleed on a BMW. I start by sucking all of the fluid from the reservoir and refilling with fresh and then using a pressure bleeder I'll push 225cc (measured) through each rear wheel and 125cc through each front. Which leaves enough to have the level between the marks and is more than the lines and calipers can contain.
                    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
                    X