IE *REAR* camber/toe kits... opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IE *REAR* camber/toe kits... opinions?

I have searched a bit, and can only find some threads where people mention them (the Ireland Engineering REAR camber and toe kits) or just show pics of them followed by other people drolling over those pics...

What I can't find is some detail as to how nice they actually are and how effective they are. My uncle and I are both about to over haul our rear suspensions and we are thinking about going the street polyurathane route along with these kits.

Aside from the usual customer service blah blah, how are their camber/toe kits? Who has done them? Please share. Thanks in Advance.

so you can see what I'm talking about:

Last edited by clavinZERO; 03-14-2007, 12:21 PM. Reason: visual aid, hehe

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
    HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
    **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Where in CA are you? If you are in LA area I can do them for you. I have the same type kit IE uses, but I use higher quality bolts.
    Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

I have them along with IE urethane and its all right. Few little issues, the bushing on the IE subframe bushing is too big and needs to be trimmed down. The passenger side toe adjustment is very difficult to tighten. You'll need to chop bits off an open end spanner almost to the point it will break to have enough room to swing the spanner.

That said they seem to hold the setting quite well. and I haven't had any problems running out of adjustment either, and I had quite bad camber issues.
      The new bushings also make a hell of a difference.

Comment

they seem like the best option to me, because you can adjust toe/camber independently. all the other places sell eccentric bushings which change both, and have a reputation for moving. I have a set, they seem to be made well enough, but I haven't had a chance to put them in yet. basically they are just the bolts from an M Coupe with some CNC'd plates you weld onto your subframe.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

They rock. Way easier to adjust and more secure than the eccentric bushings, and you can use any bushing you want with them. Not hard to install either if you have welding available.

Sam

Comment

Thanks for the comments so far. Yes I do have access to welding, either myself or my uncle will do it. And I am in norcal, so I don't think I am gonna stop by, AdamF, but thanks, hehe.

Somewhere I read about potential rubbing issues on the body/chassis with these?

Keep the comments rolling, please.

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
            HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
            **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Comment

Originally posted by AdamF 88iS View Post
              Where in CA are you? If you are in LA area I can do them for you. I have the same type kit IE uses, but I use higher quality bolts.
              whats the deal with the bolts? i thought they were just bmw bolts? could i use your bolts with my ie kit? are they slightly longer? and do you have any tips for tightening the outer most nuts on either side?

Comment

Originally posted by e304me View Post
                whats the deal with the bolts? i thought they were just bmw bolts? could i use your bolts with my ie kit? are they slightly longer? and do you have any tips for tightening the outer most nuts on either side?
                I use the BMW bolts. Last time I looked, IE was using a hardware store bolt with an eccentric washer tacked to them. They may have changed by now though.
                Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Comment

Originally posted by AdamF 88iS View Post
                  I use the BMW bolts. Last time I looked, IE was using a hardware store bolt with an eccentric washer tacked to them. They may have changed by now though.
                  I think they used to use the BMW bolts, and now they use the latter cheap junk.. I didn't buy mine from IE though, I got them from somebody else who bought them a while back and never used them.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    I think they used to use the BMW bolts, and now they use the latter cheap junk.. I didn't buy mine from IE though, I got them from somebody else who bought them a while back and never used them.
                    Very possible. I don't get why they do that though. The BMW bolts are high quality and not that expensive.
                    Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      I just did 2 subframes using the IE kit last month. They both came with BMW hardware. However, the kit I used for my 2002 used BMW bolts for toe and an eccentric washer tacked to a bolt for the camber adjustment. Are you sure you guys aren't confusing the two kits? The first pic I've attached shows the camber adjustment for the 2002. Notice how much more adjustment is available (need for a larger eccentric washer). The second pic shows where the ie subframe bushings need to be trimmed to allow adjustment on the e30 subframe.

Comment

Being prone to the "quick and dirty", I used an air powered rotary file to slot the holes on the OEM bracket about 3/16th's of an inch. Then I put a spot weld on the bolts to keep the setting. There's no adjustment this way but there isn't any with the way BMW designed it either.
                        If it's a track car, cut access holes in the floor to get to the bolts and make cover plates.

Comment

Originally posted by Borat View Post
                          I have them along with IE urethane and its all right. Few little issues, the bushing on the IE subframe bushing is too big and needs to be trimmed down. The passenger side toe adjustment is very difficult to tighten. You'll need to chop bits off an open end spanner almost to the point it will break to have enough room to swing the spanner.

That said they seem to hold the setting quite well. and I haven't had any problems running out of adjustment either, and I had quite bad camber issues.
                          The new bushings also make a hell of a difference.
                          I second that.
                          If you put the ouside bolts (toe adjument) with the nuts to the outside the nuts are very difficult to get to.
                          If you put themwith the nuts to the inside, you'll have to remove the subframe to remove the bolts.

If I had to do it again, I would probably only install the chamber adjusters.

Avner.

Comment

I made a custom wrench for adjusting the outer ones. Works well enough. Just get a stubby 18mm and take it to the bench grinder a bit.

I cannot stress enough how much better these kits make the car handle. It's a night and day difference when you add camber to the front and get rid of it in the rear; as opposed to what happens naturally if you just lower the car and leave it.
                            Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Comment

what settings are you running adam? My car will mainly be a street car with some de`s so i was thinking like 0 or .05 degress toe in and like 1-1.5 camber

Comment

Working...
                              X