Darn Balljoints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darn Balljoints

I'm in the process of installing some used control arms that have ok balljoints (not as good as new but better than the worn to hell arms I have now). I'm installing the new driver side arm but now when I tighten the balljoint nut the balljoint shaft just spins. Anybody got any idea how to tighten this down? I cant even take it off because its spinning. I'm going to have to cut the damn thing off to remove it.

Any ideas? I'm in the middle of a complete suspension rebuild, I just finished the rear (and the subframe nightmare). I've run out of patience.
    1987 325is - sold
    2001 330i - New DD

Use a floorjack to apply upwards tension on that balljoint while turning...should get that nut right off.

GL!
    Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

place a jack under the offending ball joint, jack until some weight is on the ball joint seat, and tighten

edit: i cant type fast enough, or my interntetz is the slowz

Comment

Yes what they said, i did this to mine the other day but i put new arms in mine.

1992 BMW 325iC
        1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
        1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Awesome, thank you

I cant believe I didnt think of that but its probably because I have PTSD from the subframe job.
          1987 325is - sold
          2001 330i - New DD

Comment

Originally posted by Apex381 View Post
            I have PTSD from the subframe job.
            BAAAHAHAHAAAA!

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

yeah the nightmare of trying to get my subframe out and then installed (during which everything that could go wrong did), and then installing the IE trailing arm bushing that fit like crap (which had better not f'ing squeek because I used a good amount of grease) made me want to hide under a trashcan and cry like an emo kid. My buddy who helped me is scared sh*tless so do his.
              1987 325is - sold
              2001 330i - New DD

Comment

Fucking great...I have a spare "modded" subframe. Almost ready to order bushings (urethane TA, stock SFBs) and the IE toe/camber kit. I already braced the sway mounts, now I wanna gusset the bearing housings a bit, do the other stuff and put it in.

Maybe this winter....

Closing SOON!

Comment

In the end you'll be glad you did it. My mechanic friend says it takes him 8-10 hours to do the job so thats a 560-700 dollar savings. Just make sure you have another car to drive while the e30 is layed up.
                  1987 325is - sold
                  2001 330i - New DD

Comment

^^ agree my subframe's in the floor as we speak as well as the front suspension awaiting coilover conversion... i'm waiting on parts so not to get "PTSD" i do everything a few hours at a time d:

i'ma go research the camber kits 'cuase everyone's scaring me about the darn camber and toe problems
                    No more e30s for me.
                    88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                    88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                    91 BMW 325i [sold]
                    86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                    http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

the hardest part i found when doing my subframe was putting it and alligning it back , so that the diffr attached to the drive shaft. It's bloody difficult cos the diffr flange has to align with the driveshaft studs... and i did it all myself and even now i wonder how did i managed to allign these... because you can't see nor manuver the thing in place.. oh well...

Comment

Working...
                      X