More control arm help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More control arm help

What did you use to get the bushing off of the control arm?

Also, bentley says you need "BMW special paste" - What is this stuff>?

Spencer

I used a 3 jaw puller. For the paste, afte the bushing is pressed into the bracket soak the bracket in bushing in HOT Very soapy watter for a good bit. The slabon dishwashing soap onto the control arm, grab the bushing out of the watter and push very hard very quickly and it will slid right on. Don't let up but just keep pushing untill it slides.
    85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

yeah just yank em off as said above

now to install it you obviously need to press teh bushings into the carriers.

in terms of putting the control arm bushing on the control arm, if its the rubber one it will take a little effort and perhaps a press to get it on there, if they are Urathane then it will just slid on with no effort

Comment

to get the old bushings off the control arm you can soften them with a torch. heat them up until they catch on fire, blow out the flames and pull them off, it's pretty easy. when you put your new ones back on, make sure your water is VERY soapy and hot, and soak the bushings in the water for a while. make sure you put the car back on the ground before the soap disolves so the bushings can properly settle, and don't drive it for a few hours until they are set.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I tried using heat to get it off - didn't work.
          The bushing wouldn't move.

thanks for the info.

I didn't know about Urathane ones :?

Spencer

Comment

You didn't get it hot enough then.. like I said, it's hot enough when it catches on fire. like this:

:twisted:
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

dont light your car on fire... use a press and do it right

or if on the car... use a puller

http://www.westwerksauto.com

Comment

I used a power saw and cut through the rubber, and through the inner metal ring.

Ha ha. I love the pic.
                WTB m50 or s50 swap parts, PM me
                I call her Jenny, pics coming soon.
                Now with Eibach springs and bilstein sport shocks

Comment

Originally posted by e30evolution
                  dont light your car on fire... use a press and do it right

or if on the car... use a puller
                  why, when you can pull it off by hand? it's not like damaging the old bushing is going to hurt anything. ;)
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The control arm is off the car becuase I'm just adding new ball joints and bushing to an old one and then i'll swap it over.

I heated it for a good five minutes.

Couldn't get it.
                    I'll have to try harder later.

Spencer

Comment

getting the bushing on the control arm

me and my dad did the control arms and bushings, after managing toget it all of, we got the bushings pressed into the carriers at a shop. We got come and couldent get the bushing on, so my dad bolted the carrier on backwards to the car, jacked the car up, lubed the bushing, and put the control arm under it. Then let down the car slowly and the arm pushed right into the bushing ;). lol we all thought my dad was completely nuts.

Comment

Re: getting the bushing on the control arm

Originally posted by cheezewiz
                        me and my dad did the control arms and bushings, after managing toget it all of, we got the bushings pressed into the carriers at a shop. We got come and couldent get the bushing on, so my dad bolted the carrier on backwards to the car, jacked the car up, lubed the bushing, and put the control arm under it. Then let down the car slowly and the arm pushed right into the bushing ;). lol we all thought my dad was completely nuts.
                        I still cannot beileve that worked, it was painful to watch :p

Comment

Cut the old bushings out with a sawzall. See links below:

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

I didn't have my bushings pressed in, but I did have to buy the biggest vise home depot sells. It pressed the new bushings in easily and a wimpy vise will not cut it!!

To install the bushing/bracket assembly onto the arm, I just used a big socket and a hammer. Very easy this way!!!!

Comment

do not use a hammer to hit the control arm
                            then end of the control arm wil musrom over and the new bushing will not fit on
                            use a press

http://www.westwerksauto.com

Comment

Not sure if that was directed at me, but to clarify, you hit the bushing, not the CA. the socket and the bushing slide right over the end of the control arm.

Comment

Working...
                              X