Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brake Lines: Are Flare wrenches necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Lines: Are Flare wrenches necessary?

I went to Sears, and they only have up to 17mm for flare wrenches. The sizes I need are 14mm and 18mm. Should I spend the extra money on flare wrenches (they are like $12 A PIECE), or could I get away with just normal open end wrenches?

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

flare wrenches reduce the chances of mangling the connectors on the lines. I'd definetly recomend them.

-Charlie
    Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
    '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
    FYYFF

Comment

If you can get by with cheap-o $12 wrenches, count yourself lucky. Next time you see a SnapOn truck parked, pop in and ask a few prices...be prepared for a shock. Ever wonder why shops charge so much? Tools are a big part of the equation. My big air ratchet is $389.00, not to mention thousands of dollars in sockets, extensions, adapters...on and on. Not bitching at you, (well, kinda) but if you need $24.00 in tools that you will use many times, pony up and do it! Think how much a new line will cost, and how much downtime for your car.
      Luke

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Sears.com has sets available for $23.

Aaron
        2008 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

I will only use these once, I don't know how often you do the brake lines on your car but I think these SS lines should last me. I don't know what to do considering Craftsman doesn't sell 18mm flares.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave
            I will only use these once, I don't know how often you do the brake lines on your car but I think these SS lines should last me. I don't know what to do considering Craftsman doesn't sell 18mm flares.
            What lines are you using that are 18mm flares?

As others mentioned, I picked up the 4 peice metric set that sears sells, it was about 25 bucks.

-Charlie
            '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
            FYYFF

Comment

The front lines are 14mm, and 1 of the sets of rears is 18mm. I don't know if thats what the rubber lines are, but thats how my SS ones are.

EDIT: They are Ireland non-D.O.T. lines.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
                If you can get by with cheap-o $12 wrenches, count yourself lucky. Next time you see a SnapOn truck parked, pop in and ask a few prices...be prepared for a shock. Ever wonder why shops charge so much? Tools are a big part of the equation. My big air ratchet is $389.00, not to mention thousands of dollars in sockets, extensions, adapters...on and on. Not bitching at you, (well, kinda) but if you need $24.00 in tools that you will use many times, pony up and do it! Think how much a new line will cost, and how much downtime for your car.
                Luke
                This is true if you're a snap-on snob. However, for the average DIY'er, snap on is massive overkill. While I'd love to load up on snappy goods, my budget doesn't normally allow for that. I've had no problems with my various milwaukee, IR and craftsman stuff. Occasionaly I'll kill a craftsman tool, but I just run down to sears and get a new one for free, can't argue that too much.

The only things I'd really swear by from Snappy would be the socket sets, those are truly the best out there.

-Charlie
                FYYFF

Comment

The front lines are 14mm, and 1 of the sets of rears is 18mm. I don't know if thats what the rubber lines are, but thats how my SS ones are.

EDIT: They are Ireland non-D.O.T. lines.
                  Those are the same lines that I used. Craftsman makes an 18mm flare wrench, it was in the 4 pack I bought. IT's a 16/18mm peice.

-Charlie
                  FYYFF

Comment

Charlie, all the kits they sell here have a 16/17mm piece. Fuck.

I'll see if they can order me one or something.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Charlie, all the kits they sell here have a 16/17mm piece. Fuck.

I'll see if they can order me one or something.
                      It's offered online, I'm sure they can get one in for you. Just do a search for "flare wrench" on craftsman.com.

-Charlie
                      FYYFF

Comment

That is how you get your tool collection going. You need special tools for certain jobs. You may only use it once but you will eventually use it again for some reason. And it is only $25-30 max.

Aaron
                        2008 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

Get it going? This has to be one of the only things I don't have :) But I understand your point, and I am going to buy the proper tools, I'll probably have to order them online at craftsman.com

RISING EDGE

Comment

Do what I did, buy the tool, cover it in a rag, use it, clean it, take it back.

Or.. rent.

Sold it.

Comment

Ya I'd jsut buy it who cares if you only use it once, who knows when you may get another parts car and need it.
                              Heck I purchased a 41mm socket to use on my m30 cam gear.(not cheap)
                              What I do is just buy the tools I need as I go, so far I have mostly ACE and Craftsmen tools as they have lifetime warrenty but I have some auto zone allen sockets and what not.
                              85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Working...
                              X