Stripped rotor retainer screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripped rotor retainer screw

I know this is a somewhat common problem, what methods have people used? ive searched, found a few, but the extractor drill bit did nothing ecept round out what little hex was left..

any ideas? the cars pretty much useless till i get these on

Comment

Drill off the head of the screw, remove the rotor, and if the screw doesn't twist out by hand, use a pliers to twist it out.
      85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
      e30 restoration and V8 swap
      24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by jgood View Post
        drill off the head of the screw, remove the rotor, and if the screw doesn't twist out by hand, use a pliers to twist it out.
        +1

Comment

actually i drilled a little farther then the extractor worked.. now i just gotta tackle those big caliper bracket bolts
          Last edited by Stephen; 09-10-2008, 01:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

are they 18mm or 19mm?

Comment

19mm
              Slicktop City!

Comment

Alright ima try to go get that out

Edit: not budging.
                Last edited by Stephen; 09-10-2008, 03:27 PM.

Comment

soak that sucker in kroil or other penetrating oil

Comment

Originally posted by ducatipaso View Post
                    soak that sucker in kroil or other penetrating oil
                    +1. Pre-soaking any of the brake bolts in liquid wrench or equivalent makes a huge difference. It's especially important when replacing your hoses to avoid thrashing the hard-tube connections.
                    "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

Comment

PB Blaster FTW.

Closing SOON!
                      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                        PB Blaster FTW.
                        oh hell yes that stuff works awesome I have a can of each.
                        combine the two and ANYTHING will come apart!

Comment

Now for a different view. Remember the small bolt is only needed to secure the rotor on till you secure it to the hub. Its a convenience! Some times I have had to whack the rotor from behind, and snap the stripped head of the retainer bolt , after all most times when your at this point, you replacing the rotor any way. Don't waste lots of time on a small issue.
                          Dave Norton
                          BMWCCA member from 1997
                          1991 325 IC 5 sp 158k brown/bronzit/tan
                          1990 325 IX 5 sp 165k 2d red/black

Comment

Originally posted by davenorton View Post
                            Now for a different view. Remember the small bolt is only needed to secure the rotor on till you secure it to the hub. Its a convenience!
                            IMPO I'd have to disagree with you on that one. While you CAN get away without the rotor bolt, it's not a good practice. Whether you have the rotors resurfaced at a shop while they are still on the car or if you resurface them off of the car and let them even out "naturally" that bolt is necessary to keep the rotor exactly in the "correct" position in relation to the hub.

And if for no other reason, it's simply the right way to do the job. The engineers put that bolt there for a reason and I doubt that it was for convenience.

Comment

see my brake job thread for a demo of PB Blaster and the beauty of a handheld impact driver. OEM rear setscrews out with no fuss, no muss. also, when you reassemble them, do yourself and a future owner a favour and put a dab of antisieze on the new bolt.

Comment

Working...
                              X