Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendation to install Steel Braided Hose

Hi,

Would it be adviseble to replace the OE rubber brake hose with the steel braided brake hose (wrapped with teflon) for normal driving and occassionally track days.

Read somewhere that the steel braided hose is for race car purposes whereby it protects the hose from being cut or as an amour for the hose. However, it does not last as long as the rubber hose.

What you guys think ?

A lot of the concern is you cant see what is happening to the rubber hose under the steel. A lot also have problems with DOT certification too so if you live in the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia you might get in trouble.

Being said, I have them. The intention is that the steel braid keeps the rubber from expanding giving it better pedal feel. I think its a gimmick. I bought the post popular ones (cant remember the name but I am sure someone will bring them up soon). Maybe if you had brakes that need to be bled or old cracking rubber lines it would be a night and way effect.

For me I was forced to have the fluid changed twice a season to qualify for most of the events around here so my system was in tip-top shape.
    Im now E30less.
    sigpic

Comment

I have SS lines and other goodies. I barely have to touch my brakes to slow down. Ryan doesn't think slotted rotors do anything either, but I thought they made a big difference.

Just check the steel lines every once in a while for wear. I've got about 20k on mine so far (mostly street driving) and they're fine. rubber ones aren't going to last forever either!
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

considering IE has them for like 75 dollars they are almost a must.

Comment

ok, thanks guys... Just wondering if this mod would be a safe mod to do.

need advise.

Comment

i think it would be a safe mod. If anything did ever happen I am sure IE would back up their product

Comment

Its been safe. Just maintain them as you would with brake lines. Changing them every few years and so. Just dont assume that they are forever brake lines and you should be fine.

Its important to make it part of an interval since you cant see what is happening to the rubber underneath.
              Im now E30less.
              sigpic

Comment

thanks guys.. will post the review after i fit in the hose.

Comment

Do the IE lines have a teflon coating on the outside?

I personally think this is an important feature on SS lines, because otherwise dirt can get in between the steel braid and rubber hose and cause a puncture.

My 115k lines look about shot, so its time to upgrade....

Comment

I do not thinkn they are, just by reading the description on their website. It would not be difficult to coat them when new would it?

Comment

Mine did but I cant remember the name. C'mon, someone has too. Everyone was buying them and they had a habit of sending the wrong lenth for the trailing arm lines at first.

Good shit if I ever find the receipt Ill let you know. They might have been from IE (they dont make thier own, its a brand {like WIlwood}).
                      Im now E30less.
                      sigpic

Comment

my IE lines are not teflon coated. however you can get teflon coated lines for $99 from other places if you want them.

like I said, check them for wear and you'll be fine.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

to tell you the truth my lines are factory and show little wear. at twenty years old and over 300k miles they still work. I am replacing them though and I would think the SS ones will last quite a while.

Comment

ok guys. just installed the steel braided hose to my car.

Result, fantastic. The brake is responsive and instant. The feel of the brake is different.

Thank you for sharing your views on this. But it's a good mod. The brand I got provides 2 years warranty. So, if they are any leaks, I can bring back to them and get it change for free.

Comment

that means after 20 months put a little drop of acid on them and take em back saying they leak.

Comment

Working...
                              X