Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Control Arms: When is it time to replace them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Control Arms: When is it time to replace them?

Well I have a big list of parts that I'm replacing in terms of suspension, including lots of bushings (subframe, control arm, trailing arm) and rear shock mounts. Since I'm going to be replacing all these parts at one time (including new shocks and springs) come this Spring, would it be ideal to replace the control arms themselves?

People tell me to replace them since its an old car to begin with and be done with it, and others say they don't really need replacing for quite some time. Also, my wheel is somewhat shakey at high speeds (80+), and I think that the control arms are to blame.

So whats some symptoms that say I need to replace them, when should people usually replace them, and where is the cheapest place to get a set? Thanks in advance.
    Reminiscing...

Ha ha, when they start clunking when you go around turns like our 89 does. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Eurospeed88
      Ha ha, when they start clunking when you go around turns like our 89 does. :D
      Yikes! :shock:

Well, no clunking yet, so I guess I'm good for awhile ;) Anyone else got advice on when its time?
      Reminiscing...

Comment

Cheapest place, at least at my old forums was a seller on the bay. He'd throw in some M3 bushings too.
        The BMW 318 is back. With a vengeance.

Comment

replace them now u cheap bastard... seriously. 15 year old control arms, and you think they are still good. g'damn

u'll do rear subframe bushings, but not front control arms? somebody's got their priorities wrong.........

Comment

Originally posted by hamann318is
            Cheapest place, at least at my old forums was a seller on the bay. He'd throw in some M3 bushings too.
            A seller name would help enormously. Quick respones, I love this board!
            Reminiscing...

Comment

Another symptom of worn out control arms is a shake in the wheel as you are coming to a stop.
              '91 318is
              sigpic

Comment

need to replace mine, wonder if e36 m3 96+ CA with offset bushings would be ok with the 318i struts? I ask because I do not want to replace them again if it will work for the five lug setup later.

Comment

Originally posted by Brew
                  Another symptom of worn out control arms is a shake in the wheel as you are coming to a stop.
                  Isn't that more often an issue with the control arm bushing, and not the control arm itself?

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

I've been told that its the control arms themselves, as is the ball joints, but I may have been misinformed. I was under the impression that most of the time you replace both the control arms and bushings.
                    '91 318is
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by e304lyfe
                      replace them now u cheap bastard... seriously. 15 year old control arms, and you think they are still good. g'damn

u'll do rear subframe bushings, but not front control arms? somebody's got their priorities wrong.........
                      Ha you call me a cheap bastard. How odd.

Alright, sounds good I'll replace them. Now since I'm such a cheap bastard tell me where to get them at a cheap bastard price.
                      Reminiscing...

Comment

look on ebay, you can get both fronts control arms with bushings for about 140 i think. I think the dealer charges that for each on :shock:
                        90 325is
                        IE stage 3s and refeshed m20....

Comment

BMA gets like $70 for each control arm. And then the M3 bushings are like $75-80.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill 84 318i
                            BMA gets like $70 for each control arm. And then the M3 bushings are like $75-80.
                            Sounds good, I have polyurethane offset control arm bushings already (RTRS), and I'll order my control arms from BMA, thats damn cheap.

Anyone have Meyle control arms? I assume Meyle is a good company, but just want to be sure, like I am with everything I have to buy, especially online.

And should I get new tie rods? Tie rod ends?
                            Reminiscing...

Comment

The general word is that Lemfoerder is the brand to get.

If you wanna rebuild everything (I did), get whole new tie rod assemblies. They were $38 each.

Comment

Working...
                              X