Brake help for a Christmas gift?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake help for a Christmas gift?

My son wants the brake kit from ECS that has the slotted/drilled rotors, pads, and stainless lines. Ive never been all that interested in stuff like that and overwhelmingly order from FCP.

its for the ‘87e that he is building a 2.7i for.

would appreciate opinions/suggestions.

thanks.
    My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
    I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

No, get him a copy of Fast and Furious on VHS and a lump of coal, all in a nice Zimmerman box after you treat yourself to new blank rotors.

Also, all he should get for dinner should be a bowl of rice.

Comment

fresh rubber lines, new non slotted rotors and some ATE pads will do the job.

Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

I swapped to steel brake lines all around and a 735iL master cylinder vs the "brake upgrade kit". Highly recommend the same as brake performance and response increased. Also, Ireland offers the same kit. Buy from them vs ECS. Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
        "It wouldn't be there if it wasn't..." - Milton Berle

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
          No, get him a copy of Fast and Furious on VHS and a lump of coal, all in a nice Zimmerman box after you treat yourself to new blank rotors.

Also, all he should get for dinner should be a bowl of rice.
          Haha, yeah, he is the only one in his group of friends that doesnt drive a Japanese car or a pickup truck.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
            fresh rubber lines, new non slotted rotors and some ATE pads will do the job.
            Thanks, this is kind of why I entered the post. Time for dad to be the “old guy” and get the right stuff.

Comment

The back story is, I got him the ‘87 when he was 15 and we did a lot of refreshing on the car, then I couldn’t stand to give it to him so I got myself an ‘89i. So, he isn’t a total fast and furious kid, at least not yet. He keeps telling me the wankel rotor is something that is awesome, I told him there wont be any miatas in my garage.

Comment

Originally posted by 325e '87 View Post

Thanks, this is kind of why I entered the post. Time for dad to be the “old guy” and get the right stuff.
                That's what dads are for
                Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

HA! The joys of parenthood.

As the others said, blank rotors are fine, in fact we refuse to put them on the race car since they crack/warp much sooner than solid rotors. We buy the cheapest ones we can find (local warehouse sells Centric to the public for less than $20 per), and have never had an issue slowing the car from 147mph every 2:20 lap at Daytona - for 14hr straight ;)
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:
                  Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by 325e '87 View Post
                    I agree on the cheapest rotors. Unless your on a track. just bed them properly with fresh pads. make your kid do ALL the work. like mine, it's good for them and they'll have a touch more appreciation. little bastards. sent from hell using tapatalk
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    '90 325i sedan daily driven
                    '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                      HA! The joys of parenthood.

As the others said, blank rotors are fine, in fact we refuse to put them on the race car since they crack/warp much sooner than solid rotors. We buy the cheapest ones we can find (local warehouse sells Centric to the public for less than $20 per), and have never had an issue slowing the car from 147mph every 2:20 lap at Daytona - for 14hr straight ;)
                      Concur, only blanks we ever had to change during an enduro happened to be Brembos, so clearly you don't get what you pay for, you get whatever the supplier wants to throw in their box.

Comment

Have to admit, I also go for the cheapest rotors possible on the e30 (Protex last time, which is a cheap parts store Australian brand) - no issues at all!

On the e92 I went with Zimmerman rotors and pads - relatively cheap, stop well and the zinc coating is nice as it stops the hats corroding.
                        My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by cheffy30 View Post
                          I agree on the cheapest rotors. Unless your on a track. just bed them properly with fresh pads. make your kid do ALL the work. like mine, it's good for them and they'll have a touch more appreciation. little bastards. sent from hell using tapatalk
                          See my post above yours. ;) $20 rotors EASILY last us a 14hr enduro, same with pads. Typically the front pads (Hawk DTC 60) are about 30-40% after 12hr of abuse and rear slightly less at about 40-50% likewise (DTC 70). We have yet to severely crack the Chinese Centric rotors (lots of micro cracks after a 12+hr, very typical from any rotor), and have never had a failure - even the time we broke the entire center section out of a wheel at ~110mph in the uphill t1 at Road Atlanta.
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:
                          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I've gone with the "cheap" ECS kit (blank Zimmerman rotors, Pagid pads, hardware) twice now. Assuming the lines are in good shape, throw in some good fluid and you have a very capable braking system. Mine have held up to a couple HPDE weekends per year (~180 miles on track per weekend) without issue and I'm still on the first set of rotors.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X