Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Hub Removal question

Just a quick question for confirmation.

I was going to work on getting the hub out of the trailing arm and was wondering if I needed to remove all the parking brake items before doing so. I have all the brake items off but haven’t touched the e-brake yet. When i inspected it, I don’t necessarily see why the hub would catch on the ebrake items but wanted to confirm.

Depends on the type of press tool you are working with. The hub and bearing are both pressed in with a large circlip retaining the bearing, and axle stub nut retaining the hub.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
      Depends on the type of press tool you are working with. The hub and bearing are both pressed in with a large circlip retaining the bearing, and axle stub nut retaining the hub.

I’ve got axles out. Was going to use the 27mm socket to get the hub out from behind.

Comment

27mm socket and what press? You are in for a world of hurt if you plan on beating them out.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

You don't need to remove the parking brake hardware, just the axles and brake calipers/rotors. You can do one of three things: Use a bearing separator, slide hammer with adapter bolted into the hub, or hammer it out with a 30mm from the inside. I've done it both the slide hammer and hammering from behind method. It's much easier to hammer them out when they're off the car because once you're on the side of the car where you have to get that sledge in there with your non dominant hand, it's a huge pain in the ass. But you can get through it. Sometimes the bearing inner race stays attached to the hub, and in that case, the easiet way to separate them is with a bearing separator.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
            You don't need to remove the parking brake hardware, just the axles and brake calipers/rotors. You can do one of three things: Use a bearing separator, slide hammer with adapter bolted into the hub, or hammer it out with a 30mm from the inside. I've done it both the slide hammer and hammering from behind method. It's much easier to hammer them out when they're off the car because once you're on the side of the car where you have to get that sledge in there with your non dominant hand, it's a huge pain in the ass. But you can get through it. Sometimes the bearing inner race stays attached to the hub, and in that case, the easiet way to separate them is with a bearing separator.
            Very helpful thanks! I’m removing the subframe and trailing arms so since I have a press, I’m thinking it may be best to wait until they are out of the car.

Comment

just so you know, you can rent a 10lb slide hammer kit from autozone or Advance. simplifies a lot on car. put the hammer rod through the hub wrapped in thick tape to protect the splines and thread one of the tools on the hammer and go to town. its not as civilized as a press but i did it a few times before i bought the SIR tools bearing kit.
              "In God we trust. All others must bring data." -W. E. Deming

/// 1987 325is /// Project Thread
              Past: 87 is, 88ix, 88 i, 87 ic, 89 ix, 17 others.

Comment

Working...
              X