Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subframe/RTA's move under load?

Howdy,

My e30 was making some grinding sounds at certain turning angles while moving slowly. the grinding goes away when i engage the clutch, which originally led me to believe it was my diff. well now my new 3.73lsd is in the car and it still grinds when going in a circle, i recently replaced my rear wheel bearings as well. The only conclusions im reaching are that its either my CV axles grinding and they are far beyond the point of saving, or that my subframe and rear trailing arms are deflecting under engine load to the point that something rubs? at one point i laid under the car and had my friend slowly go forward and i felt some clicking/vibrations in the axle...but i guess that is also connected to the wheel bearings and they could have failed for some reason? the reason i dont suspect wheel bearings is because i replaced them recently to cure a different sound which has gone away, and they feel great at highway speeds. rolls easily on the ground etc.

could my RTA or subframe bushings be so fooked that when under load from the engine, they deflect to the point of something rubbing?

im going to be dropping the subframe soon trying to diagnose this but would really like some input

If the bushings are worn, things certainly will shift around in turns. Impossible to tell if it would cause what youre describing but if you've already taken care of rear bearings and the diff, I'd probably say it's time for bushings and axles if possible. One thing to check on first: make sure your E brake is in good shape, if the shoes are loose because of a broken spring or retainer pin, that can cause all kinds of weird noises. Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

thanks for the response! i was kind of wondering about if something in my brakes had been left loose since doing any of the major things back there. today i was able to make the grinding present itself with the clutch pedal depressed...but i had to be rolling backwards. the lot where i was doing circles has a slight tilt to it and when rolling backwards, the sound was there but not quite as bad as when engaged in gear...ugh big job on the horizon

Comment

Originally posted by theroundcow View Post
        thanks for the response! i was kind of wondering about if something in my brakes had been left loose since doing any of the major things back there. today i was able to make the grinding present itself with the clutch pedal depressed...but i had to be rolling backwards. the lot where i was doing circles has a slight tilt to it and when rolling backwards, the sound was there but not quite as bad as when engaged in gear...ugh big job on the horizon
        Probably... once you have it all out, see if there is any play in your driveshaft U-joints and center support bearing. If the subframe bushings are letting the diff move around even a little, I'm sure it has a negative affect on driveshaft angle over time. Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
        (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Originally posted by 15Michaeljoseph View Post
          Probably... once you have it all out, see if there is any play in your driveshaft U-joints and center support bearing. If the subframe bushings are letting the diff move around even a little, I'm sure it has a negative affect on driveshaft angle over time. Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
          noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo but that makes complete sense.

Comment

No way of seeing what's good and what's bad until you get it apart though, that's the only thing. Good luck! Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
            (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Sometimes you can see if there is an issue by jacking up the rear and try to move the rear wheels fore and aft. Any movement is bad and will probably lead you to what is worn

Comment

Working...
              X