pulling handbrake cable out of trailing arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pulling handbrake cable out of trailing arm

I've found the instructions online very confusing, somehow, so I wanted to confirm what I think i know. I'm trying to remove the emergency brake cable from the rear trailing arm, and the thing is rusty and won't let go. However, I wasn't sure what exactly I was trying to remove from what. So, in this picture, the plastic cable housing and the metal thing at the end are both part of the emergency brake cable, so I should be pulling on the metal thing and not the cable itself?

​​
    I'm trying to wriggle that thinner metal part of the cable assembly out of the trailing arm?

And, a replacement handbrake cable is less than $20, so I shouldn't be worried about wrecking the cable, I should be worried about not being able to get that ferrule out of the trailing arm at all?

Comment

Hey, your pics aren't working for me but the end with the spring is the end that goes into the trailing arm. Essentially follow the black plastic liner down to where it meets the first piece of metal that's likely rusted into the trailing arm. You'll definitely want to pull off your rotors and take the e-brake apart to access the inside as well. What worked for me was soaking the end of the cable in PB blaster inside and out, letting it sit, then using a torch to heat up that ferrule. Click a set of vise grips on there really really tight and work it back and forth to try to get it to rotate. Odds are you'll be able to get it to move, and slowly be able to pull it out. If you leave anything behind in that hole, the new cable won't fit properly. Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
      (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

The only way I've managed to get the cable out is by beating it out of the trailing arm with a socket and BFH.
        Originally posted by priapism
        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
        Originally posted by shameson
        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Working...
        X