Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replaced my front wheel bearing assemblies. Have some resistance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replaced my front wheel bearing assemblies. Have some resistance.

I replaced my front wheel bearings and axle nut with Beck/Arnley wheel hub assemblies from Rock auto. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...&jsn=13&jsn=13
    Before I fully pressed them on they spun very freely. When I pressed them all the way in so I had enough thread to install the axle nut, I felt a good amount of drag. I pulled the wheel hub assembly off to see what was going on and the rear face (the silver and black rings that hide the actual bearings inside) came off. Was this wheel bearing defective? Or is that normal ?
    I pressed them back on and there was resistance again. I properly torqued down the axle nut, reinstalled everything and dropped the car. Now I feel a bit of drag when I push rolled the car by hand.
    Drove the car maybe 5 miles then parked it. I didn't think too much of the resistance because I installed wider wheels and went from 165 to 205 wheel widths on all 4 wheels, but it is pretty noticeable.
    I got finished late so I didn't get to drive the car much more than around the block and back into the garage but did I just ruin these ? I didn't take any photos when I had it apart but I could see the metal bearings covered in grease when the rear face came off. It didn't look right....
    Attached Files

Is it just resistance from the bearing being new and packed with grease? or does it feel like some sort of metal on metal contact.

The inner races can pop out because they're angular contact ball bearings (two of them in opposing rows), so there's nothing to stop them from sliding off until the nut torques them together.
    The only issue with it coming apart on install would be if dirt made its way in, or if the seal was mangled as it went back together.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Honestly it feels like metal on metal drag. Im worried when I pressed the hub back on over the axle the back race didn't seat properly ? Is that even possible ? I did torque the axle nut properly. It took a crazy amount of effort to push the bearing assembly over the axle and back into place so I could get the nut fully threaded.

Comment

Rockauto has a pretty good return policy and the wheel bearings have warranty on them so I am getting them replaced. Although I am thinking it was my own doing that ruined them. When the bearing wasn't pressed all the way on it spun smoothly on the axle. Once I pressed it in and i'm guessing the inner race inserted itself I think it caused the drag. Is that possible?

Comment

Working...
        X