ABS units & newer transmissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ABS units & newer transmissions

The e30 is my wife's car, so one of her requirements is an automatic transmission. I would like to swap in either a m54 or an n52 in to it. The auto transmissions paired to those engines are dependent on the dsc module for proper operation.
    So I am researching abs upgrades compadable with newer transmission electronics. I figure the MK60 unit may be the easiest solution, late z3 axles could be used & it has been shown to work without the steering angle sensor & rotation rate sensor wired. So that would limit me to 5 speed autos with external modules. I would prefer to step up a generation to e90 transmissions. That would be 6 speed autos with internal modules, or my preference the 7 speed dct.
    These cars use the dsc MK60e5 module with PT can communication. I have not been able to find anything about running this unit stand-alone other than there is a race only version of it.
    Does anyone have any experience in swapping a newer dsc module into the e30 or making a newer transmission work without can/pt-can data. I know there are some standalone transmission controllers but none seem to be plug & play. Maybe I am wrong, but I feel an abs upgrade would be easier than making a full custom transmission map.

Originally posted by Caperix View Post
    The e30 is my wife's car, so one of her requirements is an automatic transmission. I would like to swap in either a m54 or an n52 in to it. The auto transmissions paired to those engines are dependent on the dsc module for proper operation.
    So I am researching abs upgrades compadable with newer transmission electronics. I figure the MK60 unit may be the easiest solution, late z3 axles could be used & it has been shown to work without the steering angle sensor & rotation rate sensor wired. So that would limit me to 5 speed autos with external modules. I would prefer to step up a generation to e90 transmissions. That would be 6 speed autos with internal modules, or my preference the 7 speed dct.
    These cars use the dsc MK60e5 module with PT can communication. I have not been able to find anything about running this unit stand-alone other than there is a race only version of it.
    Does anyone have any experience in swapping a newer dsc module into the e30 or making a newer transmission work without can/pt-can data. I know there are some standalone transmission controllers but none seem to be plug & play. Maybe I am wrong, but I feel an abs upgrade would be easier than making a full custom transmission map.
    Hey, have you managed to solve this problem? Some feedback would be very helpful!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Comment

I have not worked on swapping the abs yet. I am leaning towards a mk60e5 out of a e60 m5, but will probably wait until I am ready to swap engines & transmissions.

Comment

I have not worked on swapping the abs yet. I am leaning towards a mk60e5 out of a e60 m5, but will probably wait until I am ready to swap engines & transmissions.
        Sorry ahah I meant the transmission swap

Comment

There are some standalone controllers for the zf8 transmission that get good reviews. The zf8 is a very good auto, but still feels a little disconnected compared to the dct, the current aftermarket controllers for the dct require modifying the internal transmission module.
          The zf8 auto would be the easy option & the aftermarket controllers may solve the abs issue. What engine are you putting in your car?

Comment

There are some standalone controllers for the zf8 transmission that get good reviews. The zf8 is a very good auto, but still feels a little disconnected compared to the dct, the current aftermarket controllers for the dct require modifying the internal transmission module.
            The zf8 auto would be the easy option & the aftermarket controllers may solve the abs issue. What engine are you putting in your car?
            Thanks for the input!

So, I have an '89 316i M40B16 with a zf4hp22

I do a lot of highway driving so the 4-gear trans is really not helping.

I am looking to swap a M42B18 or maybe a M43B19

I can't switch to manual trans for insurance policy related stuff…. Also I like the auto…

Comment

The e30 ABS is already stand alone, it does not communicate with the ECU.

john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

The newer transmission modules look for wheel speed info from the abs/dsc module for proper operation with the factory module.
                I think the m40 4 cylinders use the same transmission pattern as the m20/m5x 6 cylinders. A zf6 transmission from an early e60 should bolt up, I don't know if there are aftermarket controllers for it.

Comment

The newer transmission modules look for wheel speed info from the abs/dsc module for proper operation with the factory module.
                  I think the m40 4 cylinders use the same transmission pattern as the m20/m5x 6 cylinders. A zf6 transmission from an early e60 should bolt up, I don't know if there are aftermarket controllers for it.
                  Going to check this out asap!! Thanks for the input

Comment

Going to check this out asap!! Thanks for the input

Comment

HTG Gearbox Control Unit In short we call it the GCU. It's most advanced automatic transmission controller on the market. Led by TOP quality and reliability along with PREMIUM class design, the GCU is a perfect fit for both PROFESSIONAL and hobby applications giving driver and teams new possibilities and greatly enhance performance. What's

They say they support both the zf6 & zf8 speed autos.

Comment

https://htg-tuning.com/gcu/
                        They say they support both the zf6 & zf8 speed autos.
                        I would like to add that I am a complete newbie.. is this controller mandatory? What would it do exactly in this situation?

Comment

[

Comment

The controller would be needed in a swap. The transmission will be looking for engine speed data via can, that your dme may not support & wheel speed data from the dcs module that your car will not have. The controller will let the transmission operate with the speed & rpm data your car has. You may not get torque reduction on gear shifts like the factory software, but it should drive & shift.
                            I have not used these myself but they have been around for various transmission sense electronic transmission control became common.

Comment

Working...
                            X