Spring/shock advice wanted - stock-ish ride height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring/shock advice wanted - stock-ish ride height

I’ve got an ‘87 325 sedan that needed shocks 20+ year ago. Car sits with noticeably higher rear, no idea what springs are in there (would color markings help with ID?).

Anyway, I’m looking for new springs and shocks, open to affordable coilovers. Want to keep ride height near stock, slight lowering would be okay. A bit stiffer ride than current land yacht level I have right now would be nice.

Any advice appreciated!

Ground Control offers a coilover conversion that would allow you stay mostly stock ride hide with a firmer spring. Give them a call.
    Ground Control Suspension Systems is your stop for high quality American Made Performance Suspension for your BMW, Honda, Acura, Mustang, Camaro, Mustang, ETC!

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...430-my-88-seta

Comment

Received the GC coilover conversion yesterday. No o-rings or front spring perch in the package... Pretty sure I'm supposed to have o-rings for the front threaded piece?

Comment

Ground Control confirmed those parts should have been in the package, as well as instructions, sending them my way.
        Oh by the way:
        Fronts: 6" 375lb/in
        Rears: 5-1/2" 475lb/in
        Koni Sports

Comment

Another option is H&R Sport springs and Bilstein B8s. You get a near stock ride height and a better shock to control the car in turns. You will get a nice OEM like ride with this. If you want more control of the lean, larger sway bars (consider subframe/sway bar mount upgrades as well) would do it.

Comment

You can also calculate correct length spring and corresponding spring rate. When I took my front struts apart the stock spring perch looks like it was designed for a 2.5" ID spring from the factory, the rears will accept almost any ID spring.

I measured my 1984 318i springs, Front 14.625" long 90lb/in, rear 9.5" long, 209lb/in, With these numbers you just plug and chug into F=kx and you can pick whatever springs/lenghts you want to create your desired ride height. Its a little trickier with the rear since there is a motion ratio you need to apply but the front is 1:1.

This way you can use any off the shelf coilover spring, you're not locked into kits, this is essentially what Ground Control provides but they include sleeves to adjust heights. This used to be way cheaper than buying lower springs but since everything went up, it costs about the same now.
            Last edited by thejaredhuang; 07-01-2022, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X