best swaybar choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best swaybar choice?

Does anybody know what the best swaybar choice would be to go with my H&R race and bilstein sport set up?
    PNW CREW

1990 325is
    Scorpion exhaust
    K&N intake with signature motoring heat shield
    H&R race with bilstien sports
    D-Force wheels/Hankook Ventus RS-2's

i like my st kit. cheap and it works really good.

89 Alpine White e30 325i

Comment

H&R is top of the line.
      I'm Not Right in the Head | Random Rants and other Nonsense1st Order Logic Failure: Association fallacy, this type of fallacy can be expressed as (∃xS : φ(x)) → (∀xS : φ(x)), meaning "if there exists any x in the set S so that a property φ is true for x, then for all x in S the property φ must be true".

Comment

I like the IE kit because it comes with the nice floor reinforcements in the rear. But ST/H&R/IE are all very similar. 22/19 should pair up wll with your suspension.

Comment

An IE 22/19mm sway bar kit is very well matched to H&R Race springs and Bilstein Sport shocks. I personally think that the rear sway mounts on the IE kit is better than the ST. UUC now has a similar kit, but I've not see one and can't comment on how it compares.

I have a friend that has played around with different sway bars on a Spec E30 (H&R Race springs and Bilstein Sports). So far nothing is markedly better.

It will be necessary to reinforce the pick up points on the rear trailing arms. And that needs to be more than just welding in flat triangular plates. Something along the lines of the reinforcements that Turner sells is a much better solution.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

awesome. thanks. i didn't really know about the whole extra reinforcement thing so thanks for the tip. What all would I need to do
            PNW CREW

1990 325is
            Scorpion exhaust

Comment

I'm waiting on my UUC kit to show up now.

Every week for the last 3 weeks has been, "It will ship by Friday at the latest."

It's really a pisser when someone on here already has their set.
              Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
              Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
              One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

dang man that sucks. I hate waiting for things especially when it gets screwed up, but tell me how you like them when you do get them
                PNW CREW

1990 325is
                Scorpion exhaust

Comment

First, I would ask, what are you trying to acheive with your upgrade?

What chassis characteristic are you trying to fix?

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

basically just trying to tighten up all of the steering and handling of the car. i autox quite a bit, and i will start tracking it soon.
                    PNW CREW

1990 325is
                    Scorpion exhaust

Comment

steering can only be tightened up by putting in a new rack, not by sway bars.

Comment

I think he is getting at "response" to steering inputs by reducing body roll vs. literally changing the steering ratio.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                          I think he is getting at "response" to steering inputs by reducing body roll vs. literally changing the steering ratio.
                          yup^^
                          PNW CREW

1990 325is
                          Scorpion exhaust

Comment

I'm running M3 bars and those are actually stiff enough for me. With the ground controls, its really about as stiff as I want to get in the rear before I lose the ability to put down power coming out of corners at autox. Cheap and easy way to stiffen up the front is to buy M3 swaybar tabs for the front from AKG motorsport BTW.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                              An IE 22/19mm sway bar kit is very well matched to H&R Race springs and Bilstein Sport shocks. I personally think that the rear sway mounts on the IE kit is better than the ST. UUC now has a similar kit, but I've not see one and can't comment on how it compares.

I have a friend that has played around with different sway bars on a Spec E30 (H&R Race springs and Bilstein Sports). So far nothing is markedly better.

It will be necessary to reinforce the pick up points on the rear trailing arms. And that needs to be more than just welding in flat triangular plates. Something along the lines of the reinforcements that Turner sells is a much better solution.

On a spece30, what are the main benefits of the swaybars? I have a spece30 set up car, minus the swaybars, and am just wondering if I can justify the expense while I'm still just doing TT's. I've heard everything from better front tire wear to better understeer/oversteer control to better roll control, I'm just wondering what really happens when you put them on an e30 with H&R race/bilsteins and camber plates as the only major suspension mods.
                              85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                              e30 restoration and V8 swap
                              24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Working...
                              X