Steering lock tab reinstall

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Maybe Magpie
    Advanced Member
    • Apr 2020
    • 151

    #1

    Steering lock tab reinstall

    BLUF: That little pin #11 doesn't seem to want to move back far enough for me to reinstall that little rectangular-with-cutout locking tongue thing (that doesn't seem to have a part number or be on this diagram), regardless of key position. What gives? How do I get it further back?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	18
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	10168080

    More detail: When I was reinstalling my gauge cluster my dumb ass forgot to put the key back in BEFORE putting the wheel BACK ON (I thought it was only needed for removing) so it locked in place. I used the angular pulling + key insertion trick to get the bugger free again to install the trim pieces, but the tab thingy was stuck at an angle and I had to eventually wiggle it free to actually drive my car. It's fine now and works without the lock but given the ease with which E30s can be stolen I'd rather have it working again. Thing is when I try to put it back that sping loaded pin thing just will *not* move far back enough for me to get the groove that's cut into the tab aligned properly. Key position and presence doesn't seem to matter, and I gave the piece a very light sanding to ensure it wasn't binding on anything after I yanked it the first time. Is there something dumb I'm missing? Neither the Bentley nor factory BMW manuals cover this as far as I could tell and there's like one very grainy youtube video that even shows the bits I'm talking about (the yellow square is the locking tongue thing I mean) but it doesn't say how to fix it. I've tried pushing longitudinally on the pin with a screwdriver, light taps on the screwdriver with a mallet (not heavy because I don't wanna break anything worse), wiggling stuff around, no dice.

    Not the end of the world but it'd be nice to get working again.
    i'm in love with german cars // gliding past me on the autobahn​

    stainless idols with silent hearts // never turning as we drift apart ♫ ​
  • 82eye
    R3VLimited
    • Jan 2009
    • 2099

    #2
    only fix i've seen is replacing the entire steering lock housing with pin still in and swapping everything else over. that pin often fails on it's own.
    as far as getting stolen, the manual trans is gonna defeat them far more often than the steering lock. it's easy to break the steering lock.

    Comment

    • Maybe Magpie
      Advanced Member
      • Apr 2020
      • 151

      #3
      Originally posted by 82eye
      only fix i've seen is replacing the entire steering lock housing with pin still in and swapping everything else over. that pin often fails on it's own.
      as far as getting stolen, the manual trans is gonna defeat them far more often than the steering lock. it's easy to break the steering lock.
      The wonders of BMW never cease... truly baffling. I agree and this is true for smash and grabs, but if they're the kind of prick to roll in with a truck the stick doesn't matter that much if they throw it in neutral, harder to get a car onto a bed or tow rig if it won't steer. Paranoid, I know, but friends-of-friends-with-horror-stories type paranoia. Eh, maybe if I find an E30 in a pick and pull I'll yank the housing and put my lock cylinder in it. Thanks.

      Man, that is stupid though.
      i'm in love with german cars // gliding past me on the autobahn​

      stainless idols with silent hearts // never turning as we drift apart ♫ ​

      Comment

      • 82eye
        R3VLimited
        • Jan 2009
        • 2099

        #4
        i still use an old style steering wheel club. if they're dragging it away there isn't much you can do to stop it.

        Comment

        Working...