AutoZone Timkin wheel bearings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AutoZone Timkin wheel bearings?

Apparently AutoZone sells front wheel bearings for e30's boxed as "Timkin" brand parts. But apparently these bearings have FAG inscribed on them (OEM). Anyone have any experience? They are $90 vs. $130+ for anywhere else. I read a thread from a few months ago on another forum that said they have a lifetime warranty, but their site currently only shows 1 year.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

even if they are timkin theyre still good.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
    Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

All we use at my work are timken and fafnir and these are heavy duty applications. Personally, I prefer Timken over Fafnir but they both seem to work great. I would say go for it because Timken bearings are good in my book. And the 40 dollar savings is nice too.

Taylor
      Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
      Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

FWIW, Timken bearings are in the planes that I work on (Cessnas, Pipers and whatnot).

'91 318is - OBD-II S52 swapped - E30 M3 5-lug - 5x120 BBS RC090 (E39 Style 5) - TCK D/A coilovers 550/700 [SOLD]
        '87 535i - Vacuum brake conversion [SOLD]
        '93 525iT - 5-speed swap - 320k and counting
        '09 328xi - 6-speed

Comment

Great, thanks guys!

Comment

$90 is cheap as hell! I'm going to call my local store to see if they have any.

Just called, $95 near me.
            Last edited by Philo; 07-02-2009, 03:14 PM.
            -tim
            Originally posted by Jordan
            I like the stance
            -Coining hip terms since 10/9/03

Comment

thats what i used in my old eta... perfect fit and lasted long.

Comment

I just installed the Timken bearing last night. It had FAG printed on the inner race. Came with a 1 year warranty, and cost $94.99 plus tax. Installed flawlessly and the car is back on the road.

That was the easiest wheel bearing job I've ever done. Less then an hour from the time I pulled in the garage to the time I left. The whole bearing/hub came out by hand without leaving the inner race behind. New one pressed right in.

I had to buy a $20 36mm from autozone and grind it down to fit, but that's no big deal.

Comment

On another note, WTF happened to wheel bearing prices? They doubled since 2004-2005. Bavauto now charges $130+, where they were less then $70 just 3 years ago.

Comment

Nothing wrong with FAG either (except the obvious). Top-shelf bearing. I know my costs for SKF (Italian) bearings I use in my products went through the roof since '06.

Comment

Originally posted by Gooch View Post
                      FWIW, Timken bearings are in the planes that I work on (Cessnas, Pipers and whatnot).
                      And they are in the JT8-219 engines we build, along with skf, and fag.

Comment

Working...
                      X