Question about Koni's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Koni's

I just got my Koni SA's and the prick didnt include the adjustment tool or directions. Ive never used Koni's before so Ill need help figuring these out. How do I adjust them... turning the shock? Also... there is no rebound at all.... are these shocks bad or are they supposed to have (what seems like no rebound)? Thanks guys.

Are you saying when you push them down they don't come back up? If so then they are spent, Koni will rebuild them for you with an original bill of sale. Or Tru-choice motorsports will do it.

The adustment tool can be a ignition wrench or a pair of needle nose plyers.
    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Yes when I push them down they do not come back up. But I just talked to a guy from Koni and he told me that they have to be pulled back up by hand which makes no sense to me at all.

Comment

I forgot to mention there brand new. I figured out how to adjust the shock but they still have no rebound. Do I just position them how I want them and go??????

Comment

Originally posted by formula driver
          I forgot to mention there brand new. I figured out how to adjust the shock but they still have no rebound. Do I just position them how I want them and go??????
          You didn't mention they were new. Yes you need to excerise the shock first before beating it up.

When you drive on it like new brakes use lowest setting for first month to allow the units to break in. Strange but they recommend this break in period.
          https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

The instructions are on the Koni website, for future reference.

Comment

the rears have almost no rebound- thats normal. in fact when you crank them up, it's harder to pull them out than it is to press them in. the fronts should come back up when you press them in though. on the rears you have to remove the bump stops, press them all the way in, and turn them to adjust. the fronts have a little knob on top that you turn to adjust (usually with the key, which I'm sure you can get cheap from Koni).

and yeah leave them on their softest setting for a few weeks, then crank them up.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Not all shocks have high gas pressure. I can't remember if e30 Koni SAs are monotube or twin tube, but it sounds like the rears are twin tube, which typically have a much lower gas pressure than similar monotubes (sometimes they're not even gassed). This is why your rears extend themselves slowly (or not at all).

What a lot of people don't seem to understand is that dampers are controlled by oil, not gas. The gas is only used to pressurise the oil to prevent cavitation/starvation and resultant swish noises. In the case of twin tube dampers, you can lose all your gas pressure but if there is still enough oil in them, damping will be pretty much unaffected (might be a little softer - say 10% or so...)

Comment

rears are just oil shocks not pressurized..... that is why they dont extend on their own... it is normal

http://www.westwerksauto.com

Comment

Great.. thanks alot guys. Youve answered al my questions.

Comment

Working...
                    X