Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

steering column and tightening the 'nut'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks so much! :D
    N.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally Posted by aaron_silva
    It is always frustrating having a harsh ride when
    you arent in the right mind set.

Comment

I have this same problem.. Mine is more of a rattle.. I have no shakes or anything like that. Just when I go over rough roads, big bumps, etc my steering wheel has a rattle in it.. there is very minimal play when turning left to right or vise versa. Ive heard that it could be my guibo... but it sounds like it is coming from right behind the steering wheel..

Have you come up with a fix for your problem??
      My Sig killed itself. :wgaf:

-88 325is Zinnoballer

Comment

Shits fucked chase^ :)

Comment

bump....I have this issue, and trying to figure which way to tighten the large nut. Clockwise or counter-clockwise? Are any of the threads supposed to be showing?
          www.instagram.com/snwmble
          #snwmble

Current:
          '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
          '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
          '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
          '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
          '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
          '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
          '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
          '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Bumping this. I'm getting steering shake on braking, but nothing in the peddles, so I assume its this and not rotors.

So tighten the 32mm nut clockwise till its tight? Any torque specs or tricks to complete this job? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comment

Mark D. shaking in the wheel on Decel is generall rotor warp, OR bad ball joints. I would check ball joints for play and go from there.

I Had the wobble problem in my wheel. Any roughness in roads and I would get excessive feedback in the wheel. feels like the front end is gonna fall apart.

I replaced the Lower U joint and Guibo unit. While replacing the lower unit, I had to remove the shaft from the "BIG NUT" down to the U-joint, because I had to put it in a vise and beat off the U-Joint.

The Nut is essentially acting as a clamp around the shaft, the shaft coming into the car from outside is splined, and fits into the column(inside the car). The nut Clamps the two together. It is a Standard threaded Nut. So if you are looking at it from the drivers seat the nut is threading up towards you. AKA Counterclockwise from your view in the drivers seat, but in reality its a normally threaded (clockwise) bolt that is being tightened UP towards the Steering wheel, to pinch the Column to the Shaft. If that makes any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by iChase View Post
                I have this same problem.. Mine is more of a rattle.. I have no shakes or anything like that. Just when I go over rough roads, big bumps, etc my steering wheel has a rattle in it.. there is very minimal play when turning left to right or vise versa. Ive heard that it could be my guibo... but it sounds like it is coming from right behind the steering wheel..

Have you come up with a fix for your problem??
                I might have to give this a shot sometime soon, my car does the same thing. Drives dead nuts straight, besides my atrocious snow tires on the car right now it handles well enough. Quick response, no slop, but hit a bump the right way and the steering column seems to clunk/rattle. All new front/rear suspension on the car with everything replaced last year (Swaybars, struts/shocks, springs, strut mounts, control arms, M3 CAB's, steering guibo, rack, tie rods). My first thought was whatever housing the bearings sit in has worn out a bit axially and allows the column to push up/down when the front end gets compressed. Didn't think it would be all that possible for the column to get pushed like that, but maybe on an old flexy car the subframe is able to move a bit in relation to the steering column
                1990 332i, 4 door
                2008 KTM 990 Superduke
                2018 Golf R, 6spd manual (Pending delivery)
                2017 Mazda CX-5 GT
                2007 Z4M Coupe - Sold to very nice people

Comment

Steering Column Nut

I know this is an old thread, but I felt it was necessary to reply as I used this post to fix my steering problem. I was amazed to find the nut was hand tight. I could use my hand to tighten the nut so I tightened it fully with a crescent wrench and went for a test drive = much better! No more rattling and the steering felt more crisp and tighter. A big thanks to this thread.

Comment

on another note: If you have replaced your airbag st wheel with let's say an MtechI wheel, then you may experience a rattling or looseness behind the st wheel until you add a "big-assed oval washer" to take up some slack in there.

Comment

Originally posted by twistednut View Post
                      Two pairs of vice grips and a small bar clamp. What you are trying to do is put a little pressure on the steering knuckle joint to eliminate the slack in the steering column.
                      hey sorry to bump a six year oils thread but what exactly re you doing here ? I'm looking to tighten this nut and wondering what u mean when you say "What you are trying to do is put a little pressure on the steering knuckle joint to eliminate the slack in the steering column"? thanks for an answer if you have time
                      i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

if you tighten this nut and you still feel a rattle, it is possible the splined shaft assembly will need to be replaced, as it can wear out.

i replaced every other component in my steering column in disbelief this part was bad, but after carefully examining it i noticed there was some wear in the telescopic shaft that goes through the firewall.

it is not cheap, but fortunately at this time it is still available from bmw. part#: 32311159500

Comment

Working...
                        X