No announcement yet.

Drop Hats.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what about e36 or e46 hats? Has anyone tried those or compared them to e90s/e30s? Maybe the e36 M hats are some ridiculous 20mm drop, who knows..

Probably covered in the thread already, but who has time for reading 11 pages...
    -Alex

Comment

i would like to know this too... anyone?

Comment

I am not sold on the OEM E90 drophats yet. there is a very minimal amount of drop from the picture provided previously. Has anyone put these on a 318is M42 with bilstein sport/H&R sport? This is what I have and was curious what that would look like.

Richard- I checked your site and couldnt tell what each car was and was wondering if you had any before and after pics of the above setup with your drophats installed.
        '91 318is Alpine II- || HR Sport || Bilstein Sport || Poly RTAB || Treehouse FCAB || Poly Motor Mount || Poly Tranny Mount || Poly Diff mount || IE Sway Bar || BA HP Coils/Wires || 19# Injectors || SSR Comps w/10mm spacers || Hawk Pads || Fog Delete || Magnaflow Exhaust || Z4 3.0 SSK ||

Comment

Originally posted by longms View Post
          I am not sold on the OEM E90 drophats yet. there is a very minimal amount of drop from the picture provided previously. Has anyone put these on a 318is M42 with bilstein sport/H&R sport? This is what I have and was curious what that would look like.

Richard- I checked your site and couldnt tell what each car was and was wondering if you had any before and after pics of the above setup with your drophats installed.

It's not something that can vary from car to car. That hat is manufactured with a ~10mm deeper spring hat in correlation to where the strut mount is. That will drop any and every car ~10mm. If you want to know how low your car will be, measure from your front fender lip, down 10mm, and that is how it will sit.
          85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
          e30 restoration and V8 swap
          24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
            ...If you want to know how low your car will be, measure from your front fender lip, down 10mm, and that is how it will sit.
            Good call. I feel like an idiot for being so lazy. Thanks will do this. If I am understanding this correctly as long as I keep the pad in there this won't cause any damage to my strut tower?
            '91 318is Alpine II- || HR Sport || Bilstein Sport || Poly RTAB || Treehouse FCAB || Poly Motor Mount || Poly Tranny Mount || Poly Diff mount || IE Sway Bar || BA HP Coils/Wires || 19# Injectors || SSR Comps w/10mm spacers || Hawk Pads || Fog Delete || Magnaflow Exhaust || Z4 3.0 SSK ||

Comment

Good call. I feel like an idiot for being so lazy. Thanks will do this. If I am understanding this correctly as long as I keep the pad in there this won't cause any damage to my strut tower?
              You don't have to keep the pad in there. The pad is there to prevent binding/noises/vibration from the spring/hat contact area. It may also preserve the paint on the spring, so it won't chip off from binding, and start rusting sooner.

But the actual strut tower will be unaffected. You will reduce shock travel though, so the shock will bottom out quicker, and therefore transfer more stress to the shock tower. So I suppose you could say these hats could potentially damage the strut tower? But it has nothing to do with the pads, and is more of a function of strut travel.

These are all negligible details. You'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by E30Nova View Post
                lulz

Very noticeable my ass, if you stare at the pictures long enough you can see a barely noticeable difference. If you glance at them, they look identical. I'm not pulling the entire front suspension apart for something 99% of the population won't even notice.

Matt

you can clearly see a difference your just blind
                Last edited by e30fan4life; 10-14-2010, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by e30fan4life View Post
                  you can clearly see a difference your just blind
                  The difference isn't THAT noticeable. Either my computer is $hitty (which it is) or I need to get my eyes checked. I really just don't see an entire cm difference.
                  Last edited by longms; 10-20-2010, 08:01 AM.

Comment

would turner motor sport fixed camber plates work with the e90 drop hats? would be nice if someone tried this already ;)

Comment

Originally posted by charlescho View Post
                      http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html..._ID=TSU3080459

would turner motor sport fixed camber plates work with the e90 drop hats? would be nice if someone tried this already ;)
                      Those mount above the strut bearing, which goes above the spring hat. If the spring hat clears the strut bearing, then it has to clear the camber plate.

Comment

I wish richard wasnt such a punk about all this, I really wanted to pick up some of his drop hats.
                        Originally posted by e30lov
                        sweet a mk4 jetta, haven't seen one of them for about 14 seconds
                        Adventures of an E30

Comment

I'm having trouble visualizing how this installation works. Anyone have a writeup / pics?

Originally posted by FrozenSolid View Post
                          for what its worth, i was able to change the "drophats" without removing the strut. i removed the big nut for the shock, and pulled the spring/strut assembly away from the bushing/top mount. then i removed the three bolts for the mount and removed it. that gave me enough room to r&r the drophat and put everything back together.
                          sigpic
                          Winner - Best Engine, Bimmercruise 2010
                          Runner Up - e30 Wild Category, Bimmercruise 2010
                          Winner - Best Cabrio, Trillium @ Tedfest 2011
                          Winner - e30 Wild Category, Bimmercruise 2011
                          www.vertnation.com
                          My car in Berlin Klassic promo video

Comment

Comment

LOL at richard's reaction..
                              Winner winner chicken dinner?

My Seller Feedback Thread

Comment

look what i found: http://cgi.ebay.de/BMW-3er-E30-316-3...item519006495e

Comment

Working...
                                X