No announcement yet.

Drop Hats.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So far still only UUC and kmac camber plates confirmed to work?

Comment

quick question regarding e90 drop hats. The e90 haps have metal ring on the bottom of the center hole, while the bottom of the e30 tophat is completely flat. When installing the e30 hat does that ring on the bottom of the e90 top hat affect anything? I just find it hard to believe that the e90 hats can drop the car 10mm's with that ring in there. Do you still leave in parts 7 and 8 in the picture below?

Special Agency

Comment

Originally posted by spiDmang View Post
        i would say it would be a great idea to use with coilovers. you get the needed drop from the drop hats, but can also keep preload for the spring. many coilover companies say its important to keep preload if you want to have a somewhat comfortable ride.
        no such thing as a pre-loaded E30 coilover, unless you get a kit with tender springs (not common). typical springs are 6" long, about half as long as a stock spring. they will maintain contact as long as you don't go full droop (and if you're taking your E30 over sweet jumps, you'll have other issues to deal with).

there's definitely no point to using a drop hat with a coilover spring, that doesn't (and can't) use the stock spring perch in the first place..
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I Wana jump an e30 now

Comment

I'll assemble an IE camber plate with drop hats tomorrow to see how it goes. Just bought the hats on a whim.
            I don't always wreck cars, but when I do I wreck them into trees.

91' 318is S50 swap - The Black Widow

Comment

Just picked up a pair from the dealer. $12 each. Im using them on Jom Coilovers. Kinda pointless i know.
              1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
              1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
              1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
              1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Originally posted by TimKninja View Post
                Just picked up a pair from the dealer. $12 each. Im using them on Jom Coilovers. Kinda pointless i know.
                Its not just pointless, it wont work at all.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I have a knocking on the passenger side after putting on my e90 strut hats. The spring must not be seated correctly or the top strut bolt isnt tight enough? Anything else I should check?

Comment

Originally posted by CabbE30 View Post
                    I have a knocking on the passenger side after putting on my e90 strut hats. The spring must not be seated correctly or the top strut bolt isnt tight enough? Anything else I should check?
                    check the nut that spins on the strut. probably not tight enough causing the strut to move up and down when going over an uneven surface.

Comment

Originally posted by LRG SOUP View Post
                      check the nut that spins on the strut. probably not tight enough causing the strut to move up and down when going over an uneven surface.
                      +1 This happened to me and caused a knocking noise.

Comment

I got confused reading the posts, I'm considering on getting e90 drop hats but I can only get the 10mm drop from removing the spring pads upfront? Any downside to doing that?

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                          Its not just pointless, it wont work at all.
                          Why is that?

Comment

Originally posted by RawToast View Post
                            Why is that?
                            I dont think he noticed that they were JOMs.

Comment

Originally posted by CabbE30 View Post
                              I dont think he noticed that they were JOMs.

But don't JOM's work with drop hats? It's what it said in the Group Buy post

Comment

Yes JOMs should work with drop hats. The top of the spring is the same diameter as a stock spring, and it seats in the stock spring hat and strut mount.
                                The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                                Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                                2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                                2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Working...
                                X