Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E36 racks: let's settle it once and for all.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by acolella76 View Post
    non-M E36 = Mcoupe/roadster = 96-99 M3, the 96-99 m3 does have slightly less travel.
    But how do they differ from an E30 rack?

Comment

the stock E30 mean ratio is about 20:1

so even the "worst" '95 M3 at ~17:1 is an upgrade
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        the stock E30 mean ratio is about 20:1

so even the "worst" '95 M3 at ~17:1 is an upgrade
        What is the travel of the E30 rack vs. the 95 M3 rack do you know?
        -Alex

Comment

This might have been covered earlier in the thread, but I didn't see it. What kind of hardware/spacers are needed to bolt the E36 rack to the E30 front subframe? I kind of mocked/test fitted mine yesterday, and it seems like there's a ton of space between the mounting brackets on the subframe where the rack mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
            This might have been covered earlier in the thread, but I didn't see it. What kind of hardware/spacers are needed to bolt the E36 rack to the E30 front subframe? I kind of mocked/test fitted mine yesterday, and it seems like there's a ton of space between the mounting brackets on the subframe where the rack mounts.
            You need aluminum spacers for the subframe. some say you need them from the knuckle for non airbag cars, but i've seen non airbag cars use the stock knuckle. You can buy the spacers at AKG or Zionsville or lots of places. Or you could probably go to a hardware store and get some... i have no idea what sizes though.
            -Alex

Comment

Originally posted by acolella76 View Post
              You need aluminum spacers for the subframe. some say you need them from the knuckle for non airbag cars, but i've seen non airbag cars use the stock knuckle. You can buy the spacers at AKG or Zionsville or lots of places. Or you could probably go to a hardware store and get some... i have no idea what sizes though.
              Do they go on the top or the bottom? I could make my own.

Comment

If your car is very low or you race it, you can put them on the bottom to help correct bump steer, but normally they go on top.
                Originally posted by codyep3
                I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                2010 F650gs twin
                2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
                  If your car is very low or you race it, you can put them on the bottom to help correct bump steer, but normally they go on top.
                  This. Used a nylon spacer and harware from local hardware store.

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
                    I remember finding the part numbers for the hardware needed in the DYI section. Dont recall the part numbers myself, but you can source these parts at the dealer. Thats where i got mines, i bought all the bushing that where described in that thread, but only ended up using two of them. huge improvement, probably one of the best upgrades i've ever done.
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm in need of a new steering rack, and definitely wanted to take this opportunity to upgrade. So what are some typical costs of different racks as compared to buying another oem e30 rack?

non-M Z3 rack = $???
                      96-99 M3 rack = $???
                      stock e30 rack = $???
                      non-M E36 rack = $???
                      95 M3 rack = $???
                      TJ - Alpine 88' 325IC

sigpic

Comment

Bump! Also interested to know pricing and where to get it.

Originally posted by flamesone View Post
                        I'm in need of a new steering rack, and definitely wanted to take this opportunity to upgrade. So what are some typical costs of different racks as compared to buying another oem e30 rack?

non-M Z3 rack = $???
                        96-99 M3 rack = $???
                        stock e30 rack = $???
                        non-M E36 rack = $???
                        95 M3 rack = $???

Comment

thanks for the info Wh33lhop! just saw this now and i was about to buy a Z3 rack for myself, but i was second-guessing the call. this really helped me along with my decision!

http://arcautomotive.com.ph/
                          like us on facebook
                          Service • Detailing • Parts • Accessories
                          BMW Car Club of the Philippines

Comment

Now I have a question. Who has a standard Z3 rack without power steering? How much is the overall turning radius effected compared to the standard E30 rack?
                            1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                            You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

I just replalced my soon-to-fall-off-the-car stock e30 rack with one from a '98 M3. While I love the improved performance, it definitely takes some getting used to. The progressive steering is REAL tight in the middle. The wheel doesn't completely straighten out on it's own after a 90 degree turn, so you have to do it manually. Which is fine, but my brain hasn't let that new piece of information sink in quite yet, so I often NEARLY crash into parked cars.
                              '87 325i "Chewey" (RIP, my beloved)
                              current:
                              '01 e46 325iT "Dot" - #datwagonlife
                              '87 e30 325i "Tui" - she has her mother's eyes

Comment

Originally posted by BrooklynMW View Post
                                The wheel doesn't completely straighten out on it's own after a 90 degree turn, so you have to do it manually.
                                Something else is wrong. This would not be the fault of the rack, unless you have a bent one.
                                Here is my photo gallery answering common questions about Ground Control Suspension, and e30 suspension problems in general.
                                Ground Control Gallery

The Ground Control facebook page: Dragged, kicking and screaming into social media to see what happens next.
                                Ground Control facebook page

Comment

Working...
                                X