yet another Koni question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yet another Koni question...

just ordered some Koni SA's, and was wonding if any of you with Konis leave the rear bump stops out so you can adjust the shock without taking it off. I'm guess if you leave it out you could just take off the bottom bolt and push the shock up and twist it to the desired stiffness and then tightest the bottom bolt back without taking the upper mount out... this would be way easier than having to take the shock and upper mount out to change it every time.
    but I don't know if taking the bump stop out is a good idea or not, Heck, I don't even know if you could do this or not... ya'lls thoughts?
    "aerodynamics are for those who cannot build engines"
    -Enzo Ferrari

I don't have to disconnect the upper mount to adjust my shock. All is do is disconnect the lower bolt, yank out the b.stops.

Your's should be able to work like that too. Unless I am mistaken, you can also poke a coat hanger or some other wire into the hole at the top to get it to drop if it's stuck. What springs will you be running in the rear?

Comment

IE stage3's... yea, I was thinking about cutting a couple inches off the dust shield and cutting a gap in the bump stop so I could just yank it out when I pulled the shock down.
      Sure wish the rear koni's with the external adjustment were cheaper, oh well.
      "aerodynamics are for those who cannot build engines"
      -Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I have only adjusted mine 3 times total since I got them 2 years ago. Lack of the ext. adjuster is not a big deal to ME....

Comment

Originally posted by e9nine
          I have only adjusted mine 3 times total since I got them 2 years ago. Lack of the ext. adjuster is not a big deal to ME....
          ;)

I've adjusted mine once since having them. Make sure to let them break-in for about a month after you get them (keep them on full soft).
          The BMW 318 is back. With a vengeance.

Comment

How bout front bump stops, did you guys still use those? If so, did you trim them down?

And, the rears, what did you guys do so you could adjust them without removing them from your car? Did you leave the bump stops in?
            - Sean Hayes

Comment

I left out my rear bump stops. keep in mind that my lowered ix is only about 1/2" lower than a stock 325i, so there's much less risk of bottoming out. in any case, I've only adjusted my rears 3 times in the 2 years I've had them. there's really no reason to adjust them all the time. set it and forget it..

oh and don't forget to heed the above advice and leave them at full soft for the first 500 miles.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando
                oh and don't forget to heed the above advice and leave them at full soft for the first 500 miles.
                why?

Comment

Working...
                X