So my suspension is f'ed up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So my suspension is f'ed up

Had my car up on a lift this afternoon swapping out the blizzaks for the es100s. When I lowered the car the left-front suspension would not compress at all. I have ground control coil-overs and when the car was on the ground, the spring on that corner was still completely loose.

So, I guess my question is: Has anyone else run into this before? Anyone have any ideas on how to un-seize the strut? The thing does not budge at all, even when the corner is lowered onto a block of wood. I'm guessing that I'll just have to replace the struts. :(
    '91 318is
    sigpic

did you try standing on the bumper and pushing up and down? or driving at all?
    Dan

Comment

Dan - he drives it everyday, usually pretty hard to. Whatever is wrong isn't going to fix itself by just driving more.

Comment

Any tricks for removing the threaded collar that holds the shock into the strut tube?
        '91 318is
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brew
          Any tricks for removing the threaded collar that holds the shock into the strut tube?
          Use the BMW special tool.

but no one has one.

So use a pipe wrench.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
          https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
            Originally posted by Brew
            Use the BMW special tool.

but no one has one.

So use a pipe wrench.

Yeah, I got one of them off with channel locks, but the left side wont budge at all. I guess I'll just soak the fuck out of it with some penetrating oil tomorrow and bust out the 2 foot pipe wrench.
            '91 318is
            sigpic

Comment

Ford K-Body strut removal tool. You have to enlarge the holes, but it will fit in the holes. Use a breaker bar on that. Go get it at autozone.

NASA MidSouth TT Director / GTS2 #018
              Mods: Coastal PS Fluid, 10w40 Oil
              Future Mods: Bosch Micro-Edge Wiper Blades, Painter's Tape, Spark Plugs, Freezer for Nutty Buddys, Adam Nitti CD's

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to give the pipe wrench a shot tomorrow and if that doesn't work I'll go to more drastic measures. :evil:
                '91 318is
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys, the pipe wrench did the trick.
                  '91 318is
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X