Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coilover kit with Bilsteins or Full Ground control setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coilover kit with Bilsteins or Full Ground control setup?

So i wanna drop my car because with the wheels i put on in my car look retarded with it being so high.

any recomendations? i did a little bit of research and how late model e30's rear looks lower than the front so i was thinking of going with ground control coilover kit with my bilstein hd shocks.

or should i just wait and save up for the complete ground control coilover suspension kit?

the only picture i have with wheels are on my sig
    coilovers with bilsten shocks
    44.26%
    complete ground control coilover suspension
    55.74%
    Originally posted by blunttech
    r3v does not fuck around. First you get banned, then they shoot you

You don't need the full setup, but get the coilover kit, single adjustable KONI shocks and some rear shock mounts.

Comment

Bilstein HD's are no bueno for GC kit if you plan on going low.
      I think you can get them re-valved by Bilstein though

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

whats wrong with hd's for going low?

Comment

Hds are meant for stock height springs, they will bottom excessively when you lower your car. Bilstein sports are meant for lowered cars but some people running coilovers are still having issues with them bottoming out.

Comment

Originally posted by LivingLegend06 View Post
            Hds are meant for stock height springs, they will bottom excessively when you lower your car. Bilstein sports are meant for lowered cars but some people running coilovers are still having issues with them bottoming out.
            I have Bilsteins Sports and I am wondering if that is what is happening to me.

I have 2" of clearance for my skidplate and it has impacted about 6 times already.

So I would need a different shock or would stiffer spring be the solution?

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

I run Bilstein Sports and 350/475 Eibach ERS Springs with the GC conversion kit and the car rides awesome.

I was shocked (no pun intended) with how much better it rode on the GC conversion kit with stiffer springs and lower, than it did with the same shocks and Eibach Pro-Kit springs.

I also don't bottom out.
              E30- 1989 325is

Comment

The lower you go the stiffer your rates need to be, and shocks to match. Depending on how low you go you may need the shocks and/or struts modified .
                Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by MC Hammered View Post
                  I have Bilsteins Sports and I am wondering if that is what is happening to me.

I have 2" of clearance for my skidplate and it has impacted about 6 times already.

So I would need a different shock or would stiffer spring be the solution?
                  Both and/or depending how low you want to go.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Well all of the bottoming out happened the first day after I adjusted the ride height. Dropped the front 1" and the rear 1/2", for reference I am almost at the bottom of the Ground Control adjustment sleeve on the fronts.

I have driven more carefully to determine what is going on but I haven't bottomed out since, so would the suspension possibly have settled down now that I have driven on it a bit?

I have 440lb springs up front.

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

Bottoming out the shock and slamming your skidplate into the ground are two different things. With 2" of clearance, nothign is going to stop you from grounding the skidplate, but stiffer springs would help.
                      2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                      2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                      1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                      1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                      - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                      1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                      1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                      Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hodge View Post
                        I run Bilstein Sports and 350/475 Eibach ERS Springs with the GC conversion kit and the car rides awesome.

I was shocked (no pun intended) with how much better it rode on the GC conversion kit with stiffer springs and lower, than it did with the same shocks and Eibach Pro-Kit springs.

I also don't bottom out.
                        those are the springs that come with the bilstein GC coilover conversion kit correct?

Comment

^ they come with whatever rate you choose, call GC .

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                            ^ they come with whatever rate you choose, call GC .
                            what rates would you recommend? i want to drop the front 1.5 and .75 in the back

Comment

Contact GC, tell me what you are trying to accomplish and they will help you pick the rates. It depends on many factors, you goals with the car, the shocks you choose etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X