TCKline or GC coilovers? Need first hand opinions/reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JeST View Post
    Could you tell me what spring rates u went with and if the car is a daily? Just like to know why ;) Appreciate it!
    375/400-500 is a great daily setup. The big key is that you'll want to get longer than typical for GC front springs because you need as much height as possible on the roads you drive on.

(as a corollary, if you don't have one of peerless' skid plates, you need one. I run high and I would still crack my oil pan open once every couple weeks without it.)
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      I'm sure either are fine. they're just springs and adjusters, it's not like they are some random made in china crap.
      Cosmos coilovers???

Comment

Appreciate all the info everyone. I'm officially swayed towards GC now with all of the feedback I'm receiving. Just an added note the car is a swapped s50 if the weight plays a huge factor or not.

For the most part the car is a daily 1st and foremost but the idea of getting back into tracking will play a part once I get some more seat time with the car.

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
        Oh, hey JeST! When did you join the club?
        Hey Nick, long time no see. I picked up an e30 a few weeks back as a new cheap daily. Moving closer into the city means something more wallet friendly. The skid plate will definitely be 1st on the agenda. Maybe after I purchase my first one I can mock up one for my own for repeated replacements I'll need to face, lol.
        Current: 1988 M3 - Henna/Black black alcantara

Guten Parts + Service
        ... When you care enough to only give the very best.

Previous:
        '87 S50 MTech 1 325is
        '07 DTM Audi S4
        '03 VF Supercharged M3
        '03 Lexus IS300 (615rwhp/512rwtq)

Comment

Originally posted by JeST View Post
          Appreciate all the info everyone. I'm officially swayed towards GC now with all of the feedback I'm receiving. Just an added note the car is a swapped s50 if the weight plays a huge factor or not.

For the most part the car is a daily 1st and foremost but the idea of getting back into tracking will play a part once I get some more seat time with the car.
          Sounds good. More weight up front and stiffer than GC typically sent out (300 vs. 375) with 475 out back might lead to some understeer, but a lil is not too bad on a street daily the err on safe side.

If you are frustrated with the handling, it would be simple to change out rear springs (much, much less work to swap). Having 375 in front would give you plenty of options in back that would be streetable and also well managed by Konis. You could pick up some used ERS springs on Honda-Tech (has/had good racing classifieds), bimmerforums, or SCCA, etc. Just be sure the inner diameter match your current springs / perch (easy to read #'s printed on spring). Then you can keep or sell the former ones, and come out about the same. TCK springs seem a bit different, and definitely doesn't have the swap meet ability GC/ERS has with a lot of motorsport community, regardless of marque (though lengths/stiffness may be different).

Start out with 375/500 and you can see how you like it and change it later if you need to. I'd opt for these: http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info.php?products_id=29 GC's are okay but esp on a daily, the failure prone needle bearings are annoying.
          Last edited by rwh11385; 03-31-2011, 10:35 AM.

Comment

^ Nice, thanks. I ran vorshlag plates with my AST's on the e46.

Guten Parts + Service

Previous:
            '87 S50 MTech 1 325is
            '07 DTM Audi S4
            '03 VF Supercharged M3

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
              TCK was at time revalving them not sure when they stopped doing that. They also were using Mustang rear DA's. Much like TMS sells Ford F350 van shocks for their J stocks.
              I needed a front D/A because my strut tube was damaged when I bought them. Direct email from TCK said they are not revalved, gave me the part number and I ordered them from PureMS who had them drop shipped to me. I was kind of surprised myself, but they specifically stated their e30 setups are not revalved, but the e36, z3, etc all are.

'91 318is - OBD-II S52 swapped - E30 M3 5-lug - 5x120 BBS RC090 (E39 Style 5) - TCK D/A coilovers 550/700 [SOLD]
              '87 535i - Vacuum brake conversion [SOLD]
              '93 525iT - 5-speed swap - 320k and counting
              '09 328xi - 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Gooch View Post
                I needed a front D/A because my strut tube was damaged when I bought them. Direct email from TCK said they are not revalved, gave me the part number and I ordered them from PureMS who had them drop shipped to me. I was kind of surprised myself, but they specifically stated their e30 setups are not revalved, but the e36, z3, etc all are.
                Wow. Im suprised as well. When I talked to Chris at VAC, he said they get their "custom valved koni's" from TCKline. Idk why they would sell custom valved shocks to VAC to distribute and not include the same option in their own coilover kit. Hmmm...

Originally posted by Ryan...
                It now emits a beautiful blue-ish yellow/green smoke from the exhaust?? No idea what would cause that color, but I assume its good.

Comment

Pulled the trigger on TC Klines single adjustables with 500/600lb spring ratings. Have a feeling these rates will be a bit too harsh for daily driving around NYC but if it gets too bad I'll swap them for softer springs. Also picked up the vorshlag camber plates.

Think it may also be time to address all of the bushings. Anyone have a good trusted retailer/seller for all my bushing needs?

Guten Parts + Service

Previous:
                  '87 S50 MTech 1 325is
                  '07 DTM Audi S4
                  '03 VF Supercharged M3

Comment

Akg.

'91 318is - OBD-II S52 swapped - E30 M3 5-lug - 5x120 BBS RC090 (E39 Style 5) - TCK D/A coilovers 550/700 [SOLD]
                    '87 535i - Vacuum brake conversion [SOLD]
                    '93 525iT - 5-speed swap - 320k and counting
                    '09 328xi - 6-speed

Comment

Necro, I know.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a GC or TC setup myself. I'm curious what people are running in terms od spring rates nowadays. My car will be a garage queen, nice weather only and HPDE slut.

JeST: if you're still on here, how did those spring rates treat you? Have you tracked the car as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Cephas View Post
                        Necro, I know.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a GC or TC setup myself. I'm curious what people are running in terms od spring rates nowadays. My car will be a garage queen, nice weather only and HPDE slut.

JeST: if you're still on here, how did those spring rates treat you? Have you tracked the car as well?
                        I have TCK D/As. My car is a real double duty car, because it's my only car. I'm running 650/700# springs and track my car 7-10 times a year, do skidpad events 2-3 times a year also. It's a fairly comfy ride - I would say its more comfy than my dad's E36M3 with H&R sports/Koni SAs. But I'm also 24 years old so my level of comfort may be different than yours!

My dampers were valved to those rates FYI
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ck_taft325is View Post
                          I'm running 800's in the rear with 550's in the front. But, plans on a 12" r3v box, amp, spare, and the like in the rear puts me at around 625/800 f/r. I like a bit of oversteer though. I daily this, btw.

So how does adding weight to the rear change your spring rate?

Comment

Working...
                          X