TCKline or GC coilovers? Need first hand opinions/reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TCKline or GC coilovers? Need first hand opinions/reviews

I'm currently looking to purchase either TCKlines double adjustables or GroundControls coilovers. Would like to hear positives/negatives reviews of both setups from first hand owners.

Coming from an E46 m3 I'm leaning towards TCKlines at the moment. Thanks for the help.
    Current: 1988 M3 - Henna/Black black alcantara

Guten Parts + Service
    ... When you care enough to only give the very best.

Previous:
    '87 S50 MTech 1 325is
    '07 DTM Audi S4
    '03 VF Supercharged M3
    '03 Lexus IS300 (615rwhp/512rwtq)

I personally love my ground controls. But then again, I have no hands on experience with tckline. But I'm sure you can't go wrong either way.
    Originally posted by audiquattrot
    bimmers b4 b*tches....remember that.
    1990 Alpinweiss 325i - secret 500whp build
    2000 Audi S4 B5 Laser Red
    1990 Nissan 240sx - Drift Missile
    2006 CBR600RR

Comment

Could you tell me what spring rates u went with and if the car is a daily? Just like to know why ;) Appreciate it!
      Current: 1988 M3 - Henna/Black black alcantara

Guten Parts + Service
      ... When you care enough to only give the very best.

Previous:
      '87 S50 MTech 1 325is
      '07 DTM Audi S4
      '03 VF Supercharged M3
      '03 Lexus IS300 (615rwhp/512rwtq)

Comment

GC is good people. Super helpful.
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Just from a quick look at TCKline coilovers, I'd have to say that GC is a better value. Over 1600 for TCKline coilovers with no camber plates?...hell no.
          Last edited by sarcasmkillsme; 03-30-2011, 06:14 PM.

Comment

I absolutely love my TCK D/A's. I rode in a car with GC's and was not impressed...HOWEVER my spring rates are nearly double those of the car with GCs so I have a general impression that has something to do with it.

One thing to note, however, is that TCK does not revalve their Koni shocks while GC does.

'91 318is - OBD-II S52 swapped - E30 M3 5-lug - 5x120 BBS RC090 (E39 Style 5) - TCK D/A coilovers 550/700 [SOLD]
            '87 535i - Vacuum brake conversion [SOLD]
            '93 525iT - 5-speed swap - 320k and counting
            '09 328xi - 6-speed

Comment

Oh, hey JeST! When did you join the club?
              2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
              2002 BMW M3 AlpinweiĂź/Black
              1999 323i GTS2 AlpinweiĂź
              1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
              - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
              1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
              1989 M3 AlpinweiĂź/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
              Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gooch View Post
                I absolutely love my TCK D/A's. I rode in a car with GC's and was not impressed...HOWEVER my spring rates are nearly double those of the car with GCs so I have a general impression that has something to do with it.

One thing to note, however, is that TCK does not revalve their Koni shocks while GC does.
                TCK was at time revalving them not sure when they stopped doing that. They also were using Mustang rear DA's. Much like TMS sells Ford F350 van shocks for their J stocks.
                https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Handled great, good price.

First had: 300/475 (standard e30 street rates) and 300/450
                  300s are too soft in front. 350 or 375 much smarter. Had a 5" spring in back, car looked dumped at top of perch, 5.5" in back much better for street. Daily'ed this for several years and did great on the track. Higher recommend around this for street 375/500-525

Then: 500/650
                  Still liveable on the street, but a lil stiffer obviously. Body roll must better than before, but didn't get to track with this setup. A friend with similar found it very, very quick around a track.

Urban legend / intraweb knowledge says don't go above 700 or 750 in back. (Plus not necessarily going to help that much more)

GC's were great, but as smart or good as Ground Control may be, they sometimes have trouble being reached. I learned to go through Valley Motorwerks if I needed anything from them.
                  I'd go for another camber plate even if you ought for their coils and perches. I replaced the needle bearings and greased right only to have them fubar'ed soon after.
                  Last edited by rwh11385; 03-31-2011, 07:09 AM.

Comment

No experiance with TCKline, but only great things to say about GC.

Comment

Originally posted by rwh11385 View Post
                      Urban legend / intraweb knowledge says don't go above 700 or 750 in back. (Plus not necessarily going to help that much more)

I'm running 800's in the rear with 550's in the front. But, plans on a 12" r3v box, amp, spare, and the like in the rear puts me at around 625/800 f/r. I like a bit of oversteer though. I daily this, btw.
                      Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

"urban legend" and GC says not to go 700+ in rate when pairing it with Bilstein Sports.
                        I'm sure adjustable koni's can compensate a higher rate considering they're adjustable.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ck_taft325is View Post
                          I'm running 800's in the rear with 550's in the front. But, plans on a 12" r3v box, amp, spare, and the like in the rear puts me at around 625/800 f/r. I like a bit of oversteer though. I daily this, btw.
                          Let me know when you need to rebuild them... hopefully you got them through a Koni dealer new and not used or through some venue the warranty is void.

I hate R3V logic. Stiffer than stock = good, so way stiffer = uber better. The suspension needs some compliance to maintain the best grip. Overly stiff springs do not do you any favors. Daily status and sub box obviously indicates a non-race car, yet you are running spring rates higher than those who very seriously track or race E30. Why do you think that they are using softer springs than you?? Have you discovered some new secret about handling, or simply not understanding the concept they see very easily?

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                          "urban legend" and GC says not to go 700+ in rate when pairing it with Bilstein Sports.
                          I'm sure adjustable koni's can compensate a higher rate considering they're adjustable.
                          Yes, rebound adjustment that goes from soft to double soft clearly means that the shock will not see any decrease in longevity by running incredibly stiff springs... okay, whatever you say.

Sorry couldn't find E30-specific, but at least BMW. Motion ratios are a lil bit different between E30 and E36, but close enough.

650 is near the upper limit of what a Koni SA can handle. When I spoke to Ground Control and TCK, they both said 700 is as much as you can run with Koni SA's.

Also keep in mind that higher spring rates make the shocks work harder, so longevity is something to think about if that concerns you.
                          Last edited by rwh11385; 03-31-2011, 06:20 AM.

Comment

I ran 550/750 with no rear bar and really liked it. Even on 215/40/17s I didn't think the ride was objectionable.

Granted, my car was on the GC custom valved Koni's, not the stock off-the-shelf.
                            Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                            Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                            One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

I'm sure either are fine. they're just springs and adjusters, it's not like they are some random made in china crap.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X