Possible Wheel Bearing Issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible Wheel Bearing Issue?

Two days ago while backing out of a parking space with the steering wheel turned to full-right-lock, a metallic “thud” noise started coming from the passenger side front wheel:
    • The thud noise seems to happen about once per wheel revolution
    • It only happens when the steering wheel is turned any amount to the right of center
    • No noise when the steering wheel is straight or turned any amount to the left
    • No noise when the front right is off the ground and turned to the right (no load on the suspension or wheel bearing)
    • I have removed the brake pads and inspected the brake caliper pistons
    • I have inspected the wheel / brakes / suspension for interference with these systems but found nothing

In my experience when a wheel bearing goes bad there is a constant grinding noise that comes from the bad corner or there is play when you grab the wheel at 9 and 2 and pivot it on the hub. Neither is true in this case.

Could this be a bad wheel bearing? Any other possibilities?

TIA,
    Mark
    I Timothy 2:1-2

That doesn't sound like a wheel bearing, but an dinspection of the front suspension will quickly tell if you have a bad bearing or other problems.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
      That doesn't sound like a wheel bearing, but an dinspection of the front suspension will quickly tell if you have a bad bearing or other problems.
      You are for the most part correct, my good man ;-)

I do have a bad wheel bearing, but it’s not quite at the stage where it is sending the typical signals. My wheels were balanced about a month ago, and for some odd reason, on this wheel, America’s Tire used a weight that clips to the rim instead of the adhesive kind. With ET25 rims, at full right lock there is enough lateral movement to allow the clip-on weight to come in contact with the strut tube. This initial contact moved the weight off the bead so that it hit the strut tube even when the steering wheel is straight. As a temp fix tapped the weight back on (brilliant, I know).

When spinning the rotor there is some noise coming from the wheel bearing, and it takes the weight of the car and the pressure of full lock to shift the bearing. I'll replace the WB soon.
      I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

Working...
      X