adjusting koni yellows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adjusting koni yellows?

How do you adjust rear koni yellow shocks while on the car? do you have to unbolt anything or can you just turn the sleeve?
    Last edited by E30MACK; 05-15-2011, 02:20 PM.

I think you have to drop one side and rotate shock while holding piston. I'd double check though.
    dlm ny country

Comment

You will need to remove the lower shock mount bolt. Then compress the shock to engage the adjuster and turn.

Understand that the adjustment on Koni SA shocks controls the rebound rate. It won't make the shooks stiffer to compress, but rather will reduce that speed at which they decompress. For the best handling you want the least rebound damping that is compatible with the spring rates in use. You don't want the wheel to oscillate after compression of the spring, but you want the fastest return of the wheel that doesn't result in bounce to maximize the contact patch.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

so whats the best way to decompress the shock?

Comment

That question has no meaning to me. Could you elaborate on what you mean?

Comment

previously u said to remove the lower shock mount bolt and then depress the shock.....how do u go abaout depressing the shock so that you can turn it to make the adjustment?

Comment

With the car up in the air, take off the lower bolt and push the bottom of the shock all the way up to engage the adjuster.

Comment

When I did koni on the Porsche is had to remove the bump stop inside then depress it just by hand.
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

good to know...I wasn't sure if that was possible.

Comment

Originally posted by E30MACK View Post
                    good to know...I wasn't sure if that was possible.

It is NOT possible to adjust a regular Koni while it is still on the car. Actually, you may be able to make some complicated special tools to do it, but it is faster to just remove the rear shock.

The trick that everybody forgets, is that the Koni bumpstop needs to be removed before the adjuster can be engaged.

Note: there are many many people who don't get this step, and THINK they are adjusting the shock, but they are not. This is why some people don't notice the damping changes, because there weren't any.

Here is how you do it:

You need: wrenches, and a long piece of wire to poke the bumpstop out. A bicycle spoke, coat hanger, really fat welding rod, or similar.

You can see the holes in this picture. There is a small black rubber bumpstop hidden in there, that must be removed before you can actually adjust the shock. The small black bumpstop has a slit in it, which allows it to be removed, then adjusted, and then replaced.

It is pretty much a pita, and that's why many people choose the specially valved e30 shocks that have the external adjustment in the trunk.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Hellabad; 05-17-2011, 10:30 AM. Reason: 104
                    Here is my photo gallery answering common questions about Ground Control Suspension, and e30 suspension problems in general.
                    Ground Control Gallery

The Ground Control facebook page: Dragged, kicking and screaming into social media to see what happens next.
                    Ground Control facebook page

Comment

Originally posted by Hellabad View Post

It is NOT possible to adjust a regular Koni while it is still on the car. Actually, you may be able to make some complicated special tools to do it, but it is faster to just remove the rear shock.

The trick that everybody forgets, is that the Koni bumpstop needs to be removed before the adjuster can be engaged.

Note: there are many many people who don't get this step, and THINK they are adjusting the shock, but they are not. This is why some people don't notice the damping changes, because there weren't any.

Here is how you do it:

You need: wrenches, and a long piece of wire to poke the bumpstop out. A bicycle spoke, coat hanger, really fat welding rod, or similar.

You can see the holes in this picture. There is a small black rubber bumpstop hidden in there, that must be removed before you can actually adjust the shock. The small black bumpstop has a slit in it, which allows it to be removed, then adjusted, and then replaced.

It is pretty much a pita, and that's why many people choose the specially valved e30 shocks that have the external adjustment in the trunk.
                      But of a thread resurrection but thank for the pictures I'd never have figured out removing the bump stop with out your info👍

Comment

Working...
                      X