Changing alignment... Im stumped.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing alignment... Im stumped.

Ok. I bought an H&R/Bilstein set up from turnermotorsport and installed it. After it was installed, i noticed that my alignment seemed to change as i drove the car. Basically, if i am stopped, and i turn the wheel all the way to the right, then in order for the car to go straight, the wheel will have to be turned about 10 degrees. if i stop and turn the wheel all the way to the other side, then the wheel straightens itself out. If i repeat, it will be 10 degrees the other way. I thought it might be my steering rack, but i have since replaced that. any ideas? i have no idea what is causing this, but i believe it to be the suspension? i don't think anything is loose. Also, i had these two pieces left over from the install, i couldn't see where they went. (i asked this in a post and was told they are to hold the blue boot in place...so i don't think they are the problem...thanks AdamF) pic:

____
    Doug

1991 318is for sale
    M50 in pieces in my basement.

I'll bet you $10 that you forgot the spacer washer between the spring-hat and the strut-mount. (Most likely you forgot the grease retaining ring as well).
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

above rings were supposed to be slid onto strut body to hold the bottoms of the blue rubber accordians down. The ones that protect the shock cylinder from dirt/rain/etc.
      Below the radar...

Comment

Lowering your car changes the geometery of your suspension and also your steering. You need to get the car alligned with the new suspension on. After that, if you still have a problem, then something else is wrong.

Comment

Have you checked your tie rods for play?
          Any you did tighten everything down properly right?

Comment

I don't really understand your question. You turn the wheel to full lock in either direction, but what is the 10 degree you are talking about? Either way, lowering your car changes the toe settings so you need to get a front end alignment.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

I have had the car professionally aligned. basically, it acts like the steering wheel is not on tight enough (i know that isn't possible, but that is the end result)...that is...when there is a lot of force keeping the front wheels from turning (like when the car isn't moving), i can change the alignment of the steering wheel relative to the car going in a straight line. i am pretty sure everything is bolted down tight. Where would the tie-rods have "play"? like the place where you adjust the alignment is slipping threads?

____
              Doug

1991 318is for sale
              M50 in pieces in my basement.

Comment

It's probably a combination of the ball joints on the control arms and on the tie rod ends.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by kencopperwheat
                  I'll bet you $10 that you forgot the spacer washer between the spring-hat and the strut-mount. (Most likely you forgot the grease retaining ring as well).
                  Are you SURE the spacer washer is between the spring hat and the strut-mount? People forget them a lot when reassembling the strut.
                  Originally posted by Gruelius
                  and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

BTW - 100% positive the guys telling you you forgot the washer between are 100% correct. I know from personal experience. I would drive down the road - car would track straight. Hit a bump, car would pull hard to the right. Next bump, car would be straight again.

No need to go on. You have to disassemble yourself to get those rings on (which are listed on another web site as "bump stops", which they are not). These guys are right - take the strut apart (at least the spring and bearing). Install the boot retainers. While your in there, make 110% sure the spring hat and the strut mount have a washer between them.

10 bucks says you have a missing $0.05 part on both or at least one side.

Comment

Does anyone have a picture of how it "should" look when done correctly? I need to do the fronts coming up and I don't want to fall into the same trap...
                      '86 325 original owner for 20 years * SOLD *
                      '86 325es * SOLD *
                      '05 Honday Odyssey Minivan.

Comment

Working...
                      X