front strut mount dust cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front strut mount dust cap

Hey guys just threw in new strut mounts and the plastic dust caps (w/ bmw logo) from the old strut mounts don't fit well with the new strut mounts. It's like the hole in the new strut mounts are larger, so the dust cap doesn't tighten up.

The new strut mounts are Lemforder brand. Car is a '91 325i.

Anybody know what's up? Do I need different ones?

Yep, I had the same problem. BMW makes two different sizes, get the other one.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Originally posted by blefevre View Post
      Yep, I had the same problem. BMW makes two different sizes, get the other one.
      Hey look at that you're right:

06 Covering cap D=32MM 2 31311139453 $1.48
      06 Covering cap D=28.5MM 2 31331124335 $1.71

Comment

As a thread revival, I had the same issue and tested both caps and none of the sizes work, The current OEM strut mount diameter hole is 31mm. So I added a couple of mm to the original 28.5mm caps by adding electrical tape until I got a snug fit. This applies to all E30s models (except XI) as the struts are the same.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisca70 View Post
          As a thread revival, I had the same issue and tested both caps and none of the sizes work, The current OEM strut mount diameter hole is 31mm. So I added a couple of mm to the original 28.5mm caps by adding electrical tape until I got a snug fit. This applies to all E30s models (except XI) as the struts are the same.
          Yep that's what I did.
          For a low risk functional part still holding up fine.
          E30 320i vert
          But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

I 3D printed a set and designed it with an o-ring groove. The o-ring provides the friction to hold it in place.

Comment

Working...
            X