Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

steering vibration, but goes away?

i get the shakies!
    steering wheel gets some decent vibrations at higher speeds, it comes and goes which really confuses me. this is something new also. last month or so, but i can tell it is getting worse.

also at low speed it feels like the car is going over bumps, i thought i had a bent wheel, but traded with my friend for a few days only to find that it still does it, just not as much(both vibration and strange low speed bumps).

friend thinks it is in the steering column coupler area. i think it has to do with tie rods.

what should i inspec? what should i test?

tie rods or end links from sway bar. mine did that at 70 mph replaced it and no more shaking.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
    ---------------------------------
    89 E30 S52
    ---------------------------------
    Transaction Feedback.

Comment

i was thinking endlinks too!
      glad i was on the right tack, have a lightly used set of tie rods i'll throw in this weekend. i will need an alignment after correct?

and yeah, it gets sketchy at about 70. i am usally comfortable cruising at 110, but no way like this!

Comment

A vibration that comes and goes when maintaining a constant speed is almost always caused by out of balance and/or out of round tires. Worn shocks, control arms, or tie rods will exagerate a minor problem with the wheels.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

^ I'm having the same problem as devon.818, but would like some more information on wheel balancing.

Would an unbalanced/badly balanced wheel sound like loose lugs? Is there a possibility that it's a wheel bearing issue as well?
          ///Z

1988 BMW 325 Super Eta - Elsa

"i"CONVERSIONWARchip&3.0MAF3.73LSDBBSRSsSMILIES"is"SPOILER+LIPHOUNDSTOOTHSHORTSHIFTERPLASTICBUMPERCONVERSIONEtc.

Sell Me Your SCHWARZ FENDERS!

Originally posted by chadthestampede
          ^ Nothing you post makes any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Zasz View Post
            ^ I'm having the same problem as devon.818, but would like some more information on wheel balancing.

Would an unbalanced/badly balanced wheel sound like loose lugs? Is there a possibility that it's a wheel bearing issue as well?
            If there are worn suspension parts an out of balance wheel could cause noise similar to that made by a loose lug.

Comment

Very helpful, thank you.
              ///Z

1988 BMW 325 Super Eta - Elsa

"i"CONVERSIONWARchip&3.0MAF3.73LSDBBSRSsSMILIES"is"SPOILER+LIPHOUNDSTOOTHSHORTSHIFTERPLASTICBUMPERCONVERSIONEtc.

Sell Me Your SCHWARZ FENDERS!

Originally posted by chadthestampede
              ^ Nothing you post makes any sense.

Comment

There is a few things it could be. Wheel balance tends to give you a steering shake at 35-45 then smooth, then again at around 60-70. What year is your car?

My guess? you have a late model with an airbag steering column. where the two parts come together, there is a sliding nut. I believe its 32mm. My guess is that has come loose. Especially if the shake isnt dependent on speed and only comes and goes.

Taylor
                Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
                Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

It is between 72-80 mph and is always at that. Is it more likely unbalanced wheels?

Comment

I suspect that out of balance or out of round tires are a part of this, but there may be wear in the front suspension that also contributes. An inspection of the front suspension and possibly repairs along with having the tires checked should be your actions at this point.

To check ball joints, squeeze the joint with a large (as in 24") pair of
                    channel locks and pry on the joint. Any motion whatsoever in a ball joint is
                    cause for replacement. Check rubber bushings by prying on them with a 24" pry
                    bar. More motion than there should be (this is where experience comes in play)
                    or any cracks are cause for replacement. You can figure on bushings being good
                    for about 6 years or 80k.

With the car up in the air, grab each front wheel at 9 & 3 o'clock and try to
                    wiggle the wheel. Motion along that line will be worn tie rods. Motion when
                    wiggling the wheel at 6 & 12 o'clock will be bearings or control arm ball
                    joints. Spin each wheel and listen for roughness in the bearings. If the
                    brakes drag, remove the caliper (and on the rear wheels the parking brake
                    shoes) to eliminate sounds from dragging brakes. Any roughness when spinning
                    the wheel is cause for bearing replacement.

The rear suspension of an E30 isn't adjustable. Worn Rear Trailing Arm
                    Bushings or bad subframe bushings will result in improper alignment of the
                    rear wheels. In addition to degraded handling, problems there will accelerate
                    wear of the rear tires.

Shocks have a more limited life than will be apparent from the way the car
                    feels. Figure on about 60k for OE type shocks and perhaps 80k from
                    Bilsteins. Koni SA shocks will go a lot further as rebound can be adjusted to
                    compensate for wear. Upper strut/shock mounts can only be assessed for wear
                    out of the car, but they will normally outlast the shocks. When replacing
                    shocks, just replace the upper mounts and you won't have to worry about them.

The rear shock mounts on an E30 or E36 are a weak item. I always replace them
                    with uprated mounts from Rouge engineering.

Comment

jlevie you the man.
                      after this hurrican passes i will do a full inspection of everything. i have a friend who can check the balance of the wheels so that is going to happen also.

someone should turn your response into a sticky forsure!
                      so much useful info, bookmarked!!!!

Comment

im in the same boat

at around 65+ it shakes for ~20 seconds then rolls perfectly smooth for 5 seconds... repeat

Comment

Working...
                        X