Truth about Toe and Camber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truth about Toe and Camber

I have read a bit through these forums recently about how TOE is a bigger cause for inner tire wear than camber. Is this really true? And if it is, then when I get my rear aligned next week (i have a toe/camber kit on the rear subframe) should I be asking for a little negative camber? ... Or do they both wear out your tires if out?

PS. I'm running H&R sports and Bilsteins.

Negative camber will cause uneven wear. Toe accelerates wear.
    1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
    You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

So then the smartest thing to do here is just get my tires back to 90ยบ and spec for toe and call it a day? I'm not tracking.

Comment

I wouldn't say 90, you will still want some negative camber dialed in for street use. Not so much in the rear.

Rotating/camber-flipping your tires will drastically increase tire life but that doesn't mean wait till the inner tire is bald. Timing is key here

Comment

Originally posted by Vtec?lol View Post
          I wouldn't say 90, you will still want some negative camber dialed in for street use. Not so much in the rear.

Rotating/camber-flipping your tires will drastically increase tire life but that doesn't mean wait till the inner tire is bald. Timing is key here
          So then I'll ask for a slight negative camber in the front and spec for the toe in the front. I am assuming if the toe is perfect with slight front camber I shouldn't wear too bad on the front? Also the rear is okay at 90 degrees?

Thanks

Comment

So have the shop put it close to the factory specs if you dont want a lot of wear.
            sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
            The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Originally posted by bmwguy325is View Post
              So have the shop put it close to the factory specs if you dont want a lot of wear.
              This. Factory Specs.
              Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
              The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Done.

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                This. Factory Specs.

Comment

camber only seems to cause very accelerated wear when you get beyond -4 or so. up until then it just causes uneven wear rather than causing it per se

Comment

If the car is lowered, you won't be able to get factory camber.

That said, as mentioned above, toe will be the tire killer.
                    Suspension tips here...
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X