Angry suspension noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Angry suspension noise

This started after I put my strut brace back on after doing some engine work, not sure if its just a coincidence though.

The sound is a very loud metal on metal 'clank' (at least it sounds like metal on metal). I loosened the top three nuts on the strut and retightened to make sure everything had seated right, and it still makes the sound. Its only on the left front corner. My guess would be its coming from the spring, anyone have any suggestions. Unfortunantely I can't have someone rock the car while I listen underneath since it only makes the sound under more force.

What engine work did you do?
    Take a look around with a flash light, look for broken parts.

Comment

I just pulled the manifold to fix a coolant leak, nothing near suspension.

You know that sound when springs seat after you just lowered the car from a jack? Its that sound (maybe not exactly), but on every bump I hit. Sway bar mounts aren't busted, spring look seated fine...someone donate a jack to me so I can look under my car.

Comment

i have the same problem but front right corner... i think its because the strut has got itself on screwed(the cap that is) could that be ther problem
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
        Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

NC is right, check to make sure the gland nut on the top of the shock is tight on the strut tube.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave
            NC is right, check to make sure the gland nut on the top of the shock is tight on the strut tube.
            I third that one.

It's Giorgio by the way, I just don't want to log out and log back in, if you know what I mean. You're going to need a jack though.

Comment

is there a way to do it without takin the strut and spring out... bitches (sorry im watchin chappelle)
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC
                is there a way to do it without takin the strut and spring out... bitches (sorry im watchin chappelle)
                Pop off the plastic cap on the strut mount. You can see the nut, the strut tower and teh bearing in there. You'll need something like a Stihl chainsaw adjusting tool to hold the strut while you use a deep socket on the nut to tighten it.

James

Comment

Originally posted by arsevader
                  Pop off the plastic cap on the strut mount. You can see the nut, the strut tower and teh bearing in there. You'll need something like a Stihl chainsaw adjusting tool to hold the strut while you use a deep socket on the nut to tighten it.

James
                  James, we are thinking of the big gland nut that screws in at the top of the strut tube, it just holds the shock in the strut tube, it's location is towards the bottom of the spring, top of the strut tube. You do not have to even take the wheel off, just jack it up, not even with stands because you don't go under the car, but make sure somebody is watching the jack because your hand will be in the spring travel, once I think about it, you might want jack stands, but just reach in there, it's a fat nut, so you will need a large, open-ended combo.

Comment

roger thanks for the help... might be a little more complicated than that with eibachs and bilsteins but ill let you know

Comment

roger thanks for the help... might be a little more complicated than that with eibachs and bilsteins but ill let you know
                      You could still do it that way with that setup.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

thats good

Comment

Alrite, so I jacked up the front left side, played with the strut, shock, spring, removed the wheel, checked everything out, set it down again and it still makes the noise. I don't know what nut Giorgio is talking about, I tightened the one under the cap on the strut...is there another one that I'm missing?

Comment

hey... i went to try to tighten it now... seems tight by hand... theres no wrenchi can use to tighten it though... the one they gave me with the shocks is closed round the end, but it seems to be tight anyway, what to do now??

Comment

Working...
                            X