Camaro Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CHIF8008 View Post
    so if i use a rear MR2 shock on the front i can chop out 4inches? (hypothetically.) seeing that i have just over a inch of plate clearance. i dont need 4 extra inches(or would it? shock travel?) only problem i see with that is im afraid that the spring then would be hitting the inner part of the wheel.

my adjusters on my coil-overs are almost hitting the lip of the wheel. about a half inch. so i should chop enough to get the adjuster location inside the wheel , but not so much that now the spring will hit the wheel.

so maybe a 3in chop? i want to be full adjustable. so all the way down on the adjusters has the frame rails on the floor. then just raise it up about a 1/2 in for plate clearance.
    2 inch is plenty. I run the same combo. I feel anything more then 2 inch is over kill and you might run into issues depending on wheel size

Comment

another note on that.

couldn't i just run spacers? that way the wheel is away from the wheel lip.
      -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
      -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
      MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
      Got Drop?? ;-)
      Originally posted by JinormusJ
      But of course
      E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

biggest question is: If you cut more out, will it increase shock travel? im assuming yes, but want another opinion.
        -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
        Got Drop?? ;-)
        But of course

Comment

another note on that.

Sure u could if thats what u want to do

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
            How much more do the Camaro (I used a 1985 model on blunttech) KYB GR-2 and Excel G (which one is better/stiffer?), compress than an e30 rear JOM shock? My car has like an inch of rear travel, and you bounce off the seat over bumps. $25/shock for those is not shabby at all.
            Any help?

And anyone have any experience with running these super low?
            The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
            Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
            2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
            2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

so if i use a rear MR2 shock on the front i can chop out 4inches? (hypothetically.) seeing that i have just over a inch of plate clearance. i dont need 4 extra inches(or would it? shock travel?) only problem i see is im afraid that the spring then would be hitting the inner part of the wheel.
              Rears are 2" shorter, fronts are 4".

another note on that.

My 7" wide et10 wheels clear the rim completely

biggest question is: If you cut more out, will it increase shock travel? im assuming yes, but want another opinion.
              Yes but you have to take some measurements first cause you don't want the strut to be completely extended or up having tension on the assembly at normal ride height. You kinda want to be in the middle of the stroke at static ride height. You would also need a longer spring if you chopped out that much. 2" is pretty much the golden #.
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
              My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

thank you man. solved many of my questions

i worded one of those wrong:

running spacers so that the adjuster collars do not hit the inner lip of the wheel. (but i think you gathered that)
                Got Drop?? ;-)
                But of course

Comment

Need some help. What KYB REAR shocks do you recommend for a late sedan running 650lb gc spring w/no adjuster(so it's very low)? Gr2's or Gas-a-just? I know the AGX's would be best but looking for cheaper alternative since it's only a daily driver.
                  I will be running shortened struts w/ ix HD's in the front since they are $100 each and are just plug and play. No changing of mount bearing which is required for the mr2's.
                  TIA,
                  Carlos

Comment

Interested in ^ too. Also interested in the durability of GR2 and ExcelG shocks on low cars. I blew my KYB gas a justs (e30 JOM shocks) in 500 miles. Pics would be nice ("I've been driving at this height for X amount of time on Y shocks made for Z car and it's great").

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                    2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Edirtyy808 View Post
                      so i have 5.1" 450lb megean spring. with jom rear shocks. should i switch them out for the camaro rears? and im planning on going low but with a decent ride.
                      I had that exact setup with no spring pads and I blew the shocks. I'll probably get KYB GR2's eventually.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                      2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Was just reading up on some camaro/mustang forums regarding the KYB shocks. People there say GR-2 are about 10-15% firmer than stock shock and the Gas-a-just are firmer/stiffer than GR-2...
                        So I will give Gas-a-just a try since they are only about $30. the Gr2's are cheap too, only about $20.

Comment

I would not recommend the gr2's. I did my suspension this weekend, IE3 springs, and ordered a set of gr2's to put on the rear. Luckily, I had a set of e30 tokico gas adjust laying around as the gr2's were incredibly soft. They were brand new and the tokico's have God only knows how many miles and were considerably stiffer, like twice as stiff. I can't speak for the KYB gas adjust, everything points to them being the best entry level. I will reiterate, I would not recommend the gr2's.

Comment

^thats all relative don't ya think?

It's ironic how KYB shocks for e30's are not regarded as a great shock. Yet mr2 KYB's are all the rage in this thread. Could be similar for the gr2 for the mustang/camaro?

Just playing devils advocate here.

Comment

ΔΔ Relative to what? And that is an honest question. I am a fan of KYB in the right situation. My comment was only on the gr2 camaro for e30 applications. I ran a set on a gs300 with excellent results and a set of gr2 struts on an e30 with a modest drop. I would assume the gas adjust would work well based on others feedback . I can only speak to my experience with the gr2s and would not recommend them if you are low and looking for a stiff shock. I think you would be better served with the kyb gas adjust. In my experience kyb builds a quality product but the point of this thread is to find out what works.

Comment

I thought everyone was saying the GR2's are stiffer than Bilstein Sports?

What would be the best KYB budget setup to run with my H&R race springs?

Comment

Working...
                                X