Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK here is my z3/e36 rack conversion list...missing anything?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK here is my z3/e36 rack conversion list...missing anything?

the rack (got a 80k z3 rack with a bent tierod for $110 shipped btw)
    linkage to from the colum to the rack. I will be using the early 318 linkage since i have an airbag car
    Lines. I hope one of my non high pressure lines since i will be not be running power steering. Hopefully i can use it how i alreay have it rigged up with the resivior
    tierod locking washers so i can use my old tierods
    Spacers. Should i just use washers or cut some pipe or what? anyone know how long?

am i missing anything?

I might also try to make some steering stop things so my tires dont rub

You will also need to shorten the steering linkage by using an assortment of nuts, bolts, and spacers. I have the complete parts list from Zionsville if you want it.

Also, why are you not going to use power steering?

Comment

im not using power steering becuse i think the e30's is way over boosted and i really like how it feels with out it.

with the linkage im going to do what jordan did in this thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...+steering+rack

Comment

way off topic but nick are you still messing around with the ITB idea?

Comment

yeah, i just need some time when i can not have a car for a little while

Comment

i stopped by les schwab to see if the steering rack they installed on the car came with new tie rods. They said it only came with the inner ones. The z3 rack came today and guess what? the tierod that was bent in an inner one!!! anyways the rack seems to be in great shape, very tight, and is in fact 2.7 turns

also after looking at it more, the outer tierods seem to be nearly new
            Last edited by nickmp0wer; 11-03-2005, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nickmp0wer
              the rack (got a 80k z3 rack with a bent tierod for $110

I might also try to make some steering stop things so my tires dont rub

Is tire rubbing a problem once you install the z3 rack?
              Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
              http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Why don't you want power steering on a rack that could easily have it?

Fuh raze factor?
                Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Originally posted by eightyfoure
                  Why don't you want power steering on a rack that could easily have it?

Fuh raze factor?
                  feel. My power steering worked fine. I removed it becuase it makes the car that much more fun to drive. The steering is much more communicative without it.

Comment

Originally posted by ///M42 sport
                    Is tire rubbing a problem once you install the z3 rack?

no, my wheels currently rub at extreme turning angles

Comment

Originally posted by 2002maniac
                      feel. My power steering worked fine. I removed it becuase it makes the car that much more fun to drive. The steering is much more communicative without it.
                      The standard e30 rack is pretty easy to drive w/o power steering because its such a low ratio, but you may find the z3 rack to be alot harder to turn w/o power assist.

'05 E46 M3 Imolarot/Cinnamon - CURRENT
                      '98 E36 M3 Estorilblau/Dove - SOLD
                      '90 E30 M3 Brilliantrot/Black - SOLD
                      SRS BSNS Motorsports - 24hrs of LeMons Racer

Comment

Working...
                      X