Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering Feel & Feedback: Too Light as Speed Increases

Hi guys,

I am running out of ideas to diagnose my concern with the steering feel in my 89 E30 325i. The steering feels very nice and heavy until about 35MPH, and anything over that feels very very light. Way too light for my taste. I feel very disconnected from the car and don't have the feedback that I want. I don't have a problem with steering wheel having play, it's just a weird feeling having so much power steering input (soft) (I had 2 E46 M3s and now have a E92 M3).

The car drives straight, and an alignment was done.

I want to tighten up the steering, and get more feedback as I am turning.

Upgrading to a E36 steering rack or a Z3 steering rack is the only solution?

I've been in a SPECE30 race car, and they are not allowed to modify their steering racks, although they can remove the power steering pump. It's just hard for me to believe that all BMW E30s have such soft steering feel. Nothing like I am used to from a BMW.

A little bit of background on the car:

The entire front end is completely new, including an OE replacement steering rack. Car has a brand new set of Bilstein Sports with H&R Race Springs. Running 15x8 TRM C1 Motorsport wheels with 225/50/15 Kuhmo tires.

e30s have school bus steering ratio stock racks. i was pretty annoyed by it as well since i used to drive a 1st gen neon acr with go kart like steering ratio. hence the reason so many people swap to the e36 rack

Comment

Your steering guibo could be severely worn. Check the universal joint on the steering shaft.

Comment

How stiff should the steering guibo be? I suffer from similar indications as the OP. I have a fully replaced and aligned front end, just light steering over about 30-40 mph. Subbed for answers!

Comment

It's not really a matter of how stiff it will be, it well either be ok, out shredded and falling apart. Look for cracks and tears in it.

Comment

Take the belt off the PS pump and try it.

If it continues, it's a suspension/alignment problem

If it's all better, it's the PS pump... either by design or failure.

Mine went away in a kitty litter bucket and I got $10!

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

what's the condition of the control arm bushings?
              do you have any play in the wheel? or is it just that it feels light at those speeds

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                Your steering guibo could be severely worn. Check the universal joint on the steering shaft.
                Thank you. I will look at this and see the condition of the guibo. I was always under the impression that with a bad guibo I would have a lot of vibration from the steering wheel. But, the part is cheap so I will replace it anyway.

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                Take the belt off the PS pump and try it.

If it continues, it's a suspension/alignment problem

If it's all better, it's the PS pump... either by design or failure.

Mine went away in a kitty litter bucket and I got $10!

t
                Hahahah. Thanks. Will do, although I do like to have power steering at low speeds. I doubt it's suspension/alignment. Suspension is all brand new and car was aligned. There is only so much you can align on this car too.

Originally posted by peytonracer4 View Post
                what's the condition of the control arm bushings?
                do you have any play in the wheel? or is it just that it feels light at those speeds
                Control Arms are brand new. I have only put 2K miles on the car since completely restoring it. I don't have play in the wheel. Only problem is that it is very soft and light and I don't like it at all. I want some real feedback from the car.

Comment

I've got the same exact problem and i've also replaced all the suspension bits including a new remaned rack. I do suspect my p/s pump though because it leaks like mad and wobbles at the pulley.
                  '87 alpine white 325is

Comment

try the m3 offset busing and lose the PS w a stock rack low speed effort is chill unless ur a girl

also what is your toe set at?

Comment

Working...
                    X