No announcement yet.

Video Tutorial for shortening strut housings and installing Ground Control kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video Tutorial for shortening strut housings and installing Ground Control kit

I'm currently filming a "video build" for my e30, which consists of filming every step of every process that I perform on my 318is.

I figured it'd be helpful to others if I made a separate video on the strut housing shortening process as well as installing the Ground Control coilover kit for the front.

This is basically a general outline specific to my setup, but it should be helpful to some extent no matter what coilover kit you are running.

My setup is as follows:
    - Ground Control kit - spring rates: 440f/650r
    - Bilstein HD front strut inserts for a 325ix model e30
    - 82-02 Camaro KYB Gas-A-Just rear shock (not mentioned in video)

Watch in 1080p and full screen for best quality. CLICK HERE TO VIEW VIDEO>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q7xU...ature=youtu.be

EDIT: Also, here is pretty helpful picture which someone sent to me in a private message to help them figure out where to make the cuts in the strut housing for the shortening process. In his case, he wanted to shorten the housings by 1.5".

In case you can't read the text well or are still confused, do the steps in this order:
    1) Yellow line - represents where the original spring perch is cut off. Just above the weld
    2) Red line - the first cut made to separate the housing. Just under the weld of the original spring perch
    3) White line - the second cut made to determine how much you are sectioning out of the housing. This is up to you, just don't cut more than 2".

MORE IMPORTANT INFORMATION!
    TO ANYONE WHO PLANS ON USING 325IX BILSTEIN HD's FOR THE FRONT:
    You should cut the inner bump stop in half before assembling everything. When viewing the shock insert, there is a metal "cap" on the very bottom. This can be separated from the yellow shock housing which reveals the internal bump stop. Use an exacto knife to carefully cut this rubber bump stop in half (so it is half it's original length). This will help prevent you from bottoming out. Mark from Ground Control made a video showing his way of popping them apart. Simply hold the strut tube, flip it upside down so the cap is facing up and the threaded shock shaft is facing the ground and give it a firm tap on carpeted ground to push the cap out. Here is the video to help visualize what needs to be done:

In my case, I didn't really feel comfortable hitting my new shock against the ground so I separated the metal cap from the shock housing with a small flathead screwdriver (or you can use a chisel or something similar) and that worked fine. Just took a little bit of effort and off it came. Once the bump stop is cut in half, just pound the cap back onto the strut body and you're good to go!
    Last edited by CubbyChowder; 01-19-2013, 01:32 AM.

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
    --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Looks good! I can't believe the fly was on your hand that long.
    - Josh
    1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
    Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

looks good
      sigpic
      "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Love it. Good job.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Wow, great video. I will be doing mne soon and this helps!

Comment

Great video!

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

awsome
              my build here ---> http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ht=lemans+blue

Comment

Nice video! I noticed you took the struts out still attached to the bottom housing and therefore the brakes as well. Is this so you don't need a spacer tool to get it back in the housing? or did you have to take it out anyway? I havent done any suspension work on my e30 yet much less even looked at how things are connected. Seems like a smart idea though
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=267166
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=380488

Comment

great video!

Comment

Originally posted by Wergen7 View Post
                    Nice video! I noticed you took the struts out still attached to the bottom housing and therefore the brakes as well. Is this so you don't need a spacer tool to get it back in the housing? or did you have to take it out anyway? I havent done any suspension work on my e30 yet much less even looked at how things are connected. Seems like a smart idea though
                    That's how the front strut assembly is designed. The strut housing and spindle are one piece, so everything comes out together. This is why you don't see cheap bolt-in coilover options for the e30 like most cars. Some companies do make kits that include the spindle but they are very pricey. That's why often times modification to the strut housing is required to build a set of coilovers. It's not 100% necessary, but if you want to go reasonably low, then it is.

Comment

Do you have to shorten the strut housing or could you just cut off the perch and lay the D-ring on the left over metal? I don't have a welder so I can't do anything other than cutting the perch off.
                      -1987 325is coupe(SOLD)
                      -1990 325i sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Dalejandrino View Post
                        Do you have to shorten the strut housing or could you just cut off the perch and lay the D-ring on the left over metal? I don't have a welder so I can't do anything other than cutting the perch off.
                        People do that too, at least I've seen it done that way a few times. You just have a bigger chance of bottoming out depending on how low you are looking to go.

Comment

I love this write up.

I will be getting my suspension done soon.

Comment

Quality work all around, great job!
                            Originally posted by blunttech
                            Always Always go for the reach around if there is an option

Comment

Great job and your car is looking good.

Comment

Working...
                              X