How to check if car had airbag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to check if car had airbag?

When I got my car, it already had a M-Tech 1 wheel on it, and the PO got it like that too and had no idea what it came with originally. I kept seeing on here that since it is a 91 car (318 is), it would have come with an airbag from the factory. Fair enough, but just the other day I saw some mention of Canadian cars not coming with airbags. Is there anything I can check for? Any remnants of the SRS system that would still be there after the wheel is gone that will let me know for sure if it did or didn't have an airbag? I'm planning a steering rack swap soon, so I need to know what parts to get for it.

Thanks!

I know that if you put a non-airbag steering wheel onto a car that came with an airbag wheel, the new wheel would need a spacer to leave room for the stalks. If you don't have any spacers behind the steering wheel, I would say that car never had an airbag.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Not sure how to check but my 318is is without airbag and I'm fairly certain it is stock.

Comment

you could check to see if the orange SRS control module is still there, I doubt most people take the time to remove it as its easier just to unplug.
        under optional step:

Edit: please note that an absence of the orange SRS control module doesn't mean your car is none airbag as it could of been removed.
        Last edited by Cosmic Serpent; 01-23-2013, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Oh, and I have done a z3 2.8 rack swap and really like it. Don't recall all the details but it was a fairly easy install.

Comment

There is a significant brace around the driver's knee bolster area of an airbag car that would be a dead giveaway.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
            Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Go to realoem.com, plug in the last seven of the VIN, and check to see if it says that the airbag parts aren't for your car. That will tell you whether it came from the factory with airbags.
              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                Go to realoem.com, plug in the last seven of the VIN, and check to see if it says that the airbag parts aren't for your car. That will tell you whether it came from the factory with airbags.
                I just tried that, but Realoem gives me all of the wheels. Three different non-airbag wheels, and an airbag wheel.

Comment

Well it was worth a shot. Apparently cars with and without air bags were produced. Which would then mean you'd need to see the build sheet for the car. A dealer could get that for you.
                  The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                  Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by tak7 View Post
                    Not sure how to check but my 318is is without airbag and I'm fairly certain it is stock.
                    Must be a Canadian thing. I am almost positive all US 318is models had airbags as that year it was mandatory (or an automatic seatbelt)

Comment

Easy, Look under the hood for bright orange impact sensors

Comment

Impact sensors are easily removed. Not sure if it mentions SRS but you can decode you vin and get a build sheet here: http://e30performance.info/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1671

2012 MCSCC/NSSCC CP class champ
                        HSAX Instructor

Comment

I got the build sheet, and airbag isn't listed. Could someone with an airbag car do that and see if it is listed as an option on theirs?

Comment

I took out the dash to swap on my nice crack-free dash, and couldn't find any trace of any airbag components anywhere. Considering that the PO generally did a poor job of things on this car, I refuse to believe that he did a super clean airbag removal, and I'm concluding I have a non-airbag car.

Comment

Originally posted by Solarian View Post
                              When I got my car, it already had a M-Tech 1 wheel on it, and the PO got it like that too and had no idea what it came with originally. I kept seeing on here that since it is a 91 car (318 is), it would have come with an airbag from the factory. Fair enough, but just the other day I saw some mention of Canadian cars not coming with airbags. Is there anything I can check for? Any remnants of the SRS system that would still be there after the wheel is gone that will let me know for sure if it did or didn't have an airbag? I'm planning a steering rack swap soon, so I need to know what parts to get for it.

Thanks!
                              Canadian 318is's came with mtech wheels and no airbags. They also came with a different suspension than USA cars.

I know an older lady who has had hers since 1992, she's loaded and the thing is mint because she fixes every tiny little thing. She can't even drive it anymore (health problems) so it just sits in her garage. I keep hoping some day she leaves it to me in her will or something, I'm probably the only person she knows other than her who even appreciates it. :p
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X