Steering rack and hoses replacement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering rack and hoses replacement.

I want to replace my steering rack along with majority of the P/S system, I will not replace my p/s pump as its in good condition and my reservoir. (I am of course getting all new seals and bolts and such)

I will need the actual steering rack which is shown above. Anyone know if they are legit, seems to good of a deal.

Then also P/S pressure hose which will also be a bit pricey.

Pump to container

Has anyone done this job before and know of anything else I should replace or do while down there?

Get your pressure line from Rockauto - $32+shipping for a nice Edelmann brand part

I just got a 330 ZHP rack from the doctor - two weeks, so far so good and they have lots of good reviews.

I bought my low pressure hoses from Pelican, maybe not the lowest price around, but it works for me. You can also save about $40 and just buy some new hose and clamps, but that looks trashy to me.
    1990 325is - sterling silver, very nice, maybe for sale

Comment

Originally posted by Just Scott View Post
      Get your pressure line from Rockauto - $32+shipping for a nice Edelmann brand part

I just got a 330 ZHP rack from the doctor - two weeks, so far so good and they have lots of good reviews.

I bought my low pressure hoses from Pelican, maybe not the lowest price around, but it works for me. You can also save about $40 and just buy some new hose and clamps, but that looks trashy to me.
      Super thanks! The hose and clamps are on pelican?
      I thought the p/s pressure hose was about $120+ are we talking about the same one that is on rockauto? Going to order the parts in a couple weeks as soon as my taxes come in.
      Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Rack doctor is indeed legit and good. Why are you going with a stock rack though? The e36/46 ones cost almost the same and are worlds better if youll have it out anyways...

Do all the clamps, hoses, reservoir as well. Tie rods obviously. Maybe steering knuckle hardware if yours is in bad shape -- ie guibo or delete, bolts/nuts

Comment

Originally posted by cormier View Post
          Rack doctor is indeed legit and good. Why are you going with a stock rack though? The e36/46 ones cost almost the same and are worlds better if youll have it out anyways...

Do all the clamps, hoses, reservoir as well. Tie rods obviously. Maybe steering knuckle hardware if yours is in bad shape -- ie guibo or delete, bolts/nuts
          I kind of want to keep the car as original as possible. I've read some threads on the e36 steer rack swaps and I just don't think it would be a significant difference to get an e36 rack then mess around with some extra work that is unnecessary
          My steering knuckle is pretty clean and seems like it was barely used. My car has about 130k miles and power steering was taken off at 115k miles. I am doing tie rods, hoses, clamps and all that as well.

So is the e36 rack just a matter of getting the part and installing from what you know? Or will I need special adjustments. Other threads are not too clear on this subject?

Super thanks for reply I appreciate!

Comment

Rockauto

1990 BMW 325IS 2.5L L6 : Steering : Power Steering Pressure Hose Price
            EDELMANN Part # 71361 14mm Banjo x 14mm Banjo x 28 7/8"
            $32.79

Or spend more if you want. Edelmann is good stuff. They have a Gates brand for $40-ish. Also very good stuff.

When you drop your rack, check out your steering guibo. I've seen some posts from guys w/o PS that have absolutely worn them out. I made an aluminum one and bolted it in.

Comment

Seriously, take a look at the threads I posted before. There's a ton of good info and previous experiences in there. The e36 swap looks fairly painless to me, granted I haven't done one myself....yet :D
              Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Read the posts above.

Also, replace the reservoir. Once you take it out, you will see that it is full of goop and dirt. Apparently, there's a filter in there that you can't change and probably can't clean.

$20 well spent.

Comment

The e36 or e46 racks are really a small difference in installation. I have an e46 330 rack and its awesome. You didn't miss anything in the DIYs, the process isn't that hard

Comment

What kind of core did you send in to rackDR for the ZHP unit?

I also need a new rack, but it seems like lots of extra $$ for a newer rack if I need a similar core. A rebuilt e30 rack is only $150.
                    --Will

Comment

Originally posted by Just Scott View Post
                      Read the posts above.

Also, replace the reservoir. Once you take it out, you will see that it is full of goop and dirt. Apparently, there's a filter in there that you can't change and probably can't clean.

$20 well spent.
                      yes might as well. THANKS

Originally posted by cormier View Post
                      The e36 or e46 racks are really a small difference in installation. I have an e46 330 rack and its awesome. You didn't miss anything in the DIYs, the process isn't that hard
                      If I install a different rack I will need a difference drive shaft to connect on to the custom rack?

Comment

Originally posted by CarsSuck View Post
                        What kind of core did you send in to rackDR for the ZHP unit?

I also need a new rack, but it seems like lots of extra $$ for a newer rack if I need a similar core. A rebuilt e30 rack is only $150.

For the core, as long as you sent in your used one, they will refund the amount that the original e30 steering rack core has listed on the site which is $65.

If you get a rebuilt one make sure it has a good warranty! I am going to purchase one on the last days of February so I want to put in my research to see which rack is worth getting and less painful.

As long as I install just a quality stock e30 steering rack I think I will be good. But others are suggesting an e36/46 rack.

Comment

So my question now is, what extra parts will I need if I purchase the complete e36 steering rack assembly? (And I am using e30 p/s pump, pressure hose, reservoir etc.
                          I will just use original e30 tie rods assembly as I have them brand new.

Comment

Originally posted by salvuhdor View Post
                            So my question now is, what extra parts will I need if I purchase the complete e36 steering rack assembly? (And I am using e30 p/s pump, pressure hose, reservoir etc.
                            I will just use original e30 tie rods assembly as I have them brand new.
                            You can keep the original pump, hoses, and tie rods. Just MAKE SURE you get inners and outers from the same model. You can't match E30 inners and E36 outers or visa versa. Also, as suggested you should replace the reservoir because it has a non-serviceable filter that's supposed to be replaced every 100k miles or so. Specifics are located in the threads I posted.

Also, since you have E30 outer tie rods already, some places will install the E30 inners to an E36 rack if you request it.
                            Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Working...
                            X