Ground Control Clunk? (Video Inside)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground Control Clunk? (Video Inside)

Alrighty... So, I've had this clunk for a while now. However, it has gotten worse recently.

It sounds like something is loose and wobbling side to side when driving over repetitive bumps and/or cracks in the road. Even small bumps and cracks cause it.

My first thought was that it is the bearing in the camber plate but I have no idea. All my nuts and bolts are tight as far as I know. I thought it might be the joint in the endlinks but those are tight with very little play. Also, the driver's front shock is blown but the clunk is coming from both, but mainly the passenger side.

Any ideas??

Thanks!

My setup:

Ground Control Coilovers
    - 700 or 650f/450r
    - Shortened Housings
    - Race (?) Camber Plates
    - Adjustable M3 Style Endlinks
    - Koni Yellows

Video:

1:55 shows the worst of it, I think.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
    Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

A little update. Checked the collar nut that holds the insert in the housing and that was tight. Here are some more videos...

Left Side:

- Shock is blown, obviously
    - The top mount seems to wobble and make a decent amount of noise. Is that normal?

Right Side 1:

- Shock not blown
    - Top mount doesn't wobble as much as the left

Right Side 2:

- Sound seems like it is coming from inside the housing...

Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

What did the folks at Ground Control say when you contacted them?

Comment

Originally posted by dudecati View Post
        What did the folks at Ground Control say when you contacted them?
        Mark told me to check the collar nut, he hasn't mentioned anything else yet.

Comment

The upper perches will articulate. They are designed to do so. As the bearings wear, they will begin to move easily.

It's always tough to analyze a problem via video.

The Koni may, in fact, be damaged to the point where it is making noise. If the gand nuts are tight and there is internal noise, it's usually the piston in the damper.

Mark
          Suspension tips here...
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GCMARK View Post
            The upper perches will articulate. They are designed to do so. As the bearings wear, they will begin to move easily.

It's always tough to analyze a problem via video.
            That's what I figured, I just wasn't sure if the left one had too much play in it or something. Yeah, I've been stumped by it for too long and this is the best way I could think of to find help, unfortunately...

Originally posted by GCMARK
            The Koni may, in fact, be damaged to the point where it is making noise. If the gand nuts are tight and there is internal noise, it's usually the piston in the damper.

Mark
            Since there is lots of internal noise in the right, non-blown damper, is it faulty by some means or is that just how it is,

Thanks!

Comment

To be honest, being you have gone through all of the other methods, I would pull the inserts and, at the very least, re-assemble to eliminate any questions regarding the damper.

Since you bought these used, there's no telling what could have occured prior to your purchase.
              Suspension tips here...
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GCMARK View Post
                To be honest, being you have gone through all of the other methods, I would pull the inserts and, at the very least, re-assemble to eliminate any questions regarding the damper.

Since you bought these used, there's no telling what could have occured prior to your purchase.
                Sounds like a plan. Only reason I haven't completely disassembled anything is because, with my current living arrangements, I can't have the car nonfunctioning for more than two weeks and I don't really have too much time on my hands. I'll just get the new shocks I need to replace the blown one and go from there.

Thanks!

Comment

My H&R's coilovers used to bind somewhat with K-mac c/c plates, so upgraded to GC c/c units., it then started to make louder clunking noises.

I've tried to fix it with brass spacers from local hardware store, pics here ... http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/album.php?albumid=7557

it worked for awhile, but eventually the rattleting cameback, so, called Adam at GC and he sent me a sheet for me to write shock dimentions on.
                  I had the wrong spacers for my setup., a few dollars later all noise went away.

Thanks Adam ...

wrong spacers are on right bottom, of this pic, also used to stack 2 spring hats (H&R + GC's) to make up for too short of springs, all's fixed now....

Comment

interesting, my car has recently been making the same sounds as lambo's, although not even close to as bad. It almost makes a "bouncy noise" like in his videos. The nut is tight and the struts are far from blown.
                    2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
                    (Daily Driver)
                    Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
                    KW V2 Coilovers
                    VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Originally posted by codyep3 View Post
                      interesting, my car has recently been making the same sounds as lambo's, although not even close to as bad. It almost makes a "bouncy noise" like in his videos. The nut is tight and the struts are far from blown.
                      Probably the spacer that people are talking about. I'm gonna dig into it this summer.

Comment

im not running camber plates though. Just factory mounts with 2.5 ID perch. Do I need to be running some sort of metal between the mount and perch?

Could I be damaging the strut mounts?
                        Last edited by Mr. Tasty; 04-25-2013, 09:39 PM.
                        (Daily Driver)
                        Full Mperformance Aero

KW V2 Coilovers
                        VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Well, after looking at it with Apytp, we've pretty much decided that the bearing/mount is shot....

Comment

I think my mounts are prematurely aging also. Looks like I am upgrading to some camber plates.
                            (Daily Driver)
                            Full Mperformance Aero

KW V2 Coilovers
                            VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Working...
                            X