Custom Swaybars / Swaybar Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Swaybars / Swaybar Poll

So I was going to post this on the track forum but it doesn't receive a lot of visitors...

Are there sizes out there that you want to see and why? What bar do you have right now and what setting is it at? (why?) What do you look for when buying swaybars?

I have ST sways. Fucking love them. Rear is adjusted to the less stiff of 2 positions.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

WHat are ST bars?
      Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

Suspension Techniques.

Mikey,
        Make me cockpit blade adjustable 32mm bars that are hollow, for less than $300

Chris
        Below the radar...

Comment

MA,

A set similar to ST would be rocking..... only IE did this exact thing. And the front bar is even non-adjustable option to obey some SpecE30 rule or something.

Also, for people with coilovers and can change their rates, IE has the hollow bar at 25mm, and no rear bar or stock, and rate your springs for balance.

my opinion is either think of a street car that would match up well with sport springs, or just make a front bar for tracksters. fuck larger rear sways.

Comment

I have to disagree with not running a rear bar.... but do understand what you mean. We are looking into the option of producing bars that are cheaper than IEs with different sizes... the only problem is linkages and bushings....

Any others want to chime in?

Comment

Run a rear bar. Heeter is dumb. Seriously this time lol. Heeter just cant control very slight oversteer.

Will
              RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
              Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
              DaveCN = Old Man
              My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
              If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

ST Bars

ST lists one bar for convertible only. Will this bar fit non convertible models? Can anyone elaborate on this?

Comment

Originally posted by 1991 318is
                  ST lists one bar for convertible only. Will this bar fit non convertible models? Can anyone elaborate on this?
                  Originally posted by Jordan
                  I have ST sways. Fucking love them. Rear is adjusted to the less stiff of 2 positions.
                  Jordan doesn't have a vert..that should answer that ;)
                  ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

I used to have ST sways, and had the rear adjusted to the not-as-stiff possition. There was way too much oversteer in the stiff position.

They are nice, but here is what I don't like about them:
                    *Front bar is not adjustable
                    *Front bar uses stock endlinks
                    *Limited adjustability in the rear (only two settings)

I just picked up a set of IE swaybars, and am pretty satisfied with them so far. The front bar is three-way adjustable. The rear bar is infinitely adjustable. I also like the way the rear mount is beefier and mounts to the trunk floor.

I currently have the front on full stiff, while the rear bar is pretty soft. I still need to see how it handles like this, and I will adjust the rear bar accordingly.

-Erik

Comment

oversteer is what its about for some of us...

Comment

rwh11385 reads bf.c track forum way too much...

bimmerworld guys aren't running rear sways... but are running stiffer rates in the rear...

done both... comes down to a preferance, I prefer the race cars current spring rates with a stock sway bar...

chatting with James Clay, he preferred the stiffer rates with no rear bar, he claimed it allowed him to get on the throttle earlier and slam the curbs harder as it tended to pick the inside wheel up...

Never liked it...

All I would really like to see is a decent revised link system Havent gotten around to adding the M3 style links up front attached to the strut... but the rears would be nice with an adjustable setup to get rid of preload

Comment

Originally posted by Bavarian3
                          So I was going to post this on the track forum but it doesn't receive a lot of visitors...

Are there sizes out there that you want to see and why? What bar do you have right now and what setting is it at? (why?) What do you look for when buying swaybars?
                          Michael,
                          I am planning on buying new sways for both ends of the E30 this spring. If you do a mailer, please put me in.

Luke

Closing SOON!
                          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowmann
                            rwh11385 reads bf.c track forum way too much...

bimmerworld guys aren't running rear sways... but are running stiffer rates in the rear...

done both... comes down to a preferance, I prefer the race cars current spring rates with a stock sway bar...

chatting with James Clay, he preferred the stiffer rates with no rear bar, he claimed it allowed him to get on the throttle earlier and slam the curbs harder as it tended to pick the inside wheel up...

Never liked it...

All I would really like to see is a decent revised link system Havent gotten around to adding the M3 style links up front attached to the strut... but the rears would be nice with an adjustable setup to get rid of preload
                            I am going to rehook the rear bar with the rear lower and see how that goes. (as the reason it is unhooked is probably my camber to blame, and was a quick solution to my overwhelming oversteer inbetween sessions) My plan is next year to buy a 25mm hollow front bar and run it with my stock rear and maybe get some stiffer rear springs if need be. (my point wasn't everyone to run no rear bar, but instead for prepared/mod guys there might not be a market for an UPgraded rear bar)

The stiffer springs you have, the less work the swaybar is really going to do while a huge bar is going to make the suspension be less and less independent. But the stock bar and some good rates should hopefully work. I look forward to seeing myself. A lot of people have complained (or if it was Jon Felton, enjoyed) about a big rear bar making the car twitchy.

For someone with coilovers, I think that a) stiffer springs supposedly work better than a big rear bar and b) are cheaper because you don't need to buy the rear bar, nor the upgraded mounts/reinforcement

The ST as mentioned have no front adjustability and that's good because it is required by SpecE30 rules. Whatever bar you make might want to have that as an option because that is an emerging market and the people should have a little money if they are planning on racing.

But what would be beautiful for you is if you came with a cheaper set that would match well with H&R sports and also race springs, so people who are looking to dial out some roll on the street or on the track can buy them as an upgrade. Although it will be hard I think to beat IE's pricing since they include hardware and bushings in the price. Good luck MA, homey G

Comment

Sway bar wish list.

Since you asked, I would like bars in a size that the stiffness can be changed by using tubes with thicker/thinner walls. This lets you use one set of hardware for all of them. Arms that are adjustable between the range of bar stifness in 25# increments. Specs given in spring rate per inch of wheel travel. Long arms and long links to minimize binding. It fits an E30 and is priced like it was for a short track asphalt stock car.

Comment

Working...
                              X