Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swaybar Comparison

Hey guys,

Looking at swaybars for 325i street- and road course car.

Has anyone tried the Racing Dynamics sways?

From a pure specifications standpoint, they seem to be the best option:

- 22mm front, and choice of 16 or 19mm rear - same size as the Suspension Techniques set.
    - 2-hole adjustable front, 3-hole adjustable rear, as compared to the non-adjustable ST front and 2-hole ST rear.
    - Not as huge and gorilla-like as the IE sways, which many have said are too huge and gorilla-like.

ST's are the spec bars for SpecE30, but I'm not building one of these - I am mainly worried about going too big or too stiff on the rear sway.

Any opinions?

Thanks,

I'm not sure, but check your PM's over at mye28.com about those sway links
    85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

I don't think the IE sways are too huge and gorrilla like at all. Much better than the ST swaybars that I used to have.
      I don't know about the RD bars though.

-Erik

Comment

why not throw the H&R sway in this thread to any feedback on them?

Comment

I keep repeating this but nobody seems to notice. IE now has a 19mm rear sway for those who think 22mm is too big, coupled with IE's mounting hardware and infinite adjustability I think it's definintely the way to go.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I have no real world experience on this, but just based on research the IE kit comes with their reinforcement brackets (I believe) which are 95$ alone and from what I've read are worth it. So the kit price of 425$ - 95$ (included?) = $330 for the sways < $370 for suspension techniques.

That's my reasoning at least but I'd like to know from someone thats bought the IE kit if it comes with the billet through the trunk mounts. The description on the website (www.bmw2002.com) is vague as usual:

"Set of Ireland Engineering 22mm front and 19mm adjustable rear sway bars. See individual descriptions of front and rear bars. The front bar is adjustable if requested. The front bar is non adjustable for Spec E30 application. Includes all bushings, hardware and reinforcements. Buy the set and save a few bucks. For M3's add $30 for the adjustable front end links. "

The reason I think it comes in the kit is in the rear bar description it says "Our bar includes both our billet aluminum chassis mounts that bolt through the trunk floor and control arm reinforcements."

Comment

it has to come with the kit, they would be crazy selling a 22mm rear bar using the stock mounts.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

i'm pretty sure the IE sways come with that billet mount that bolts up into the trunk. I can't imagine them selling the swaybar expecting you to mount it up like stock.
                I recently picked up a used set of IE swaybars (for only $200) and they came with those mounts. It is a possability that the PO had to buy them separately, but I doubt it.

-Erik

Comment

do sway bars really make that much of a difference? I have heard conflicting reports and I want to know if it is worth it and which ones are the best/more preferred.

Comment

where did you find them for 200?? i want
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                    Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by silverfbimmer
                      do sway bars really make that much of a difference? I have heard conflicting reports and I want to know if it is worth it and which ones are the best/more preferred.
                      Yes, they do make a difference. If you want to know which ones are the "best", read around. I believe the point of this thread is to determine which swaybars are better than others...

Originally posted by NC325iC
                      where did you find them for 200?? i want
                      Picked them up used from a guy locally.

-Erik

Comment

what are they made of?

Different steels with different heat treats have different properties. To give a bar size as a way of determining differences assumes that that is the only variable. Material spec and length of the arms is also important. The makers have never agreed on a standardized method of determining stiffness. The setup on the car is also a factor. As an example the E30 bars lower link is on the control arm and moves less than the road wheel. The M3 bar's link mount is on the strut and more closely tied to actual wheel movement and, although the bar is smaller, it may actually have a "stiifer" spring rate. Binding linkage is also a factor. Those short links on an E30 front are horrid. There is the arc of the control arm one way and the arc of the bar another. The M3 setup is way superior in that regard also. So, what does "better" mean? Then you throw in springs and shocks. Then you throw in rough or smooth pavement. The only answer in this context is which has better setup and more adjustability. If all else fails recite a bunch of brand names. Excuse me now, I have to wipe the foam and drool from my chin and clean up my shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by 1991 318is
                          So, what does "better" mean?
                          Point made - but I would argue that "better" means whatever you want it to mean.

It is encumbent upon the responder to properly qualify his/her answer.

Of course, failing to do that thusly voids any value that your post could have, unless your point can be inferred from your commentary.

I know that when I post my preferences, I define my own particular view of "better".

All of this said - which set of swaybars are YOUR favorite, and why?

Comment

Originally posted by Low Level E30
                            Hey guys,
                            Looking at swaybars for 325i street- and road course car.
                            Has anyone tried the Racing Dynamics sways?
                            From a pure specifications standpoint, they seem to be the best option:
                            - 22mm front, and choice of 16 or 19mm rear - same size as the Suspension Techniques set.
                            - 2-hole adjustable front, 3-hole adjustable rear, as compared to the non-adjustable ST front and 2-hole ST rear.
                            Any opinions?
                            Thanks,
                            I would go with Racing Dynamics for the front. If it pushes too much go soft. If it still pushes, add the rear bar. Hopefully the range of adjustments overlaps and you don't have too much or too little bar.
                            I hate to say it takes some experimentation when experimenta are $100+ each. I have a bunch of homemade sin bars on my car. I'm afraid if I mentioned it I would be stoned for grinding on the OEM bars to add another hole.

Comment

I'm looking at the Ireland Eng. 22mm adjustable front / 19mm adj. rear combo, and thinking that might be the way to go.

They have great mount reinforcement kits, adjustable links, and good adjustability for the swaybars themselves. That, and IE is known to put out products that WORK, because they test and use their own parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X